Modded original Xbox and HDTV/using X2VGA to run at HD

Discussion in 'Games' started by topicolo, Jan 14, 2007.

1. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Ok. So here's the situation. I'm thinking of buying an X2VGA 2 to run my xbox on my 20" LCD at HDTV resolutions. I currently use it with XBMC mainly as a media center. So my question is about this: Once you hook the original XBOX to an HDTV or a device that converts HD signals to VGA, how do you choose between the HD resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)? Do the games automatically choose the highest resolution they can support? do you have to move into the original xbox dashboard to set the resolutions? can XBMC detect the availability of a HD capable display automatically?

School me people.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

are you talking about an xbox or an xbox 360?

If you are talking about the original xbox, most games are not high-def, they are in 480p. The xbox output resolution is chosen via dashboard.

If you are talking about a 360, you can connect it via VGA directly.

3. topicolo thread starter macrumors 68000

topicolo

I'm talking about the original Xbox. So the output is chosen by the dashboard--the original, standard dashboard right? Is it available in the initial revisions of the xbox (ie. v1.0 ones released in October 2001)? If not, are there other ways of setting this since can't log onto XBOX live to update the dashboard due to my modchip.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

My Xbox does have this option, and I think it has one of the original dashboards (can't check it right now).

Also, I connect the XBox to my TV using component cables (3 separate cables for video), and the image is much crispier. I don't have an HDTV, but my Sony WEGA supports 480p.