Modding the lit apple on the back of the iBOOK G4.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RMD68, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

I have a few year old iBOOK G4 with the glowing apple on the back of the screen much like, if not the same as, the newer Macbooks. I have seen some pictures of people modding the lit apple on the back to a color of their choice. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, links, or "how-to's" on this subject. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i dont know how other people have done it, but opening an ibook G4s top case, is not hard.

4 simple allen screws along the sides of the LCD.

then, use either a good strong fingernail (u dont bite them do you?) or some other PLASTIC shim (a good plastic butter knife perhaps?) to go between the white case and the grey bezel.

start at the middle of the top of the bezel and work to the sides. itll pop right off.

when you get it off youll be pleased to note that the :apple: is nothing more than a hole cut into the white plastic....and that its lit from the LCDs backlight thru some light foam attached to the LCD.

if you want to change the color, you can either color the backside of the clear plastic apple, for a flat look which when backlit might do nothing...

or you could try to use some colored transparent plastic, like saran wrap or some thin overlays, and cut a square to size.

youll have your own ideas once you see inside. :D

3. haiggy macrumors 65816

www.icolours.ca

Mods + Instructions for a cheap price :)
    My cousin runs it

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

id make your own, find a print shop that does transparencies, they ALL do.

design your own, print, cut, paste.

5. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are the color sheets transparent from your cousins site? In other words does the light come through them and show a bright colored apple or does it block the light and you only see a dark colored apple?

That's an interesting idea!:D