Model number for AppleTV with A5X chip?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kds1, Feb 17, 2013.

1. kds1, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I read here on MacRumors that the only way to distinguish between the AppleTV with the A5 chip and the the newer model with the A5X chip is by the model number.

Does anyone know what the model number for the AppleTV with the A5X chip is? I want to make sure I get that one.

Might help to know both model numbers actually, A5 version and A5X version.

EDIT: Found out from Wikipedia that the model number for the A5 chip version is MD199LL/A. This is the version currently in the store when I checked yesterday. If anyone knows what the A5X model number is or will be, and would post it here, that would be appreciated.

2. macrumors newbie

Modelnumber..

The number for the ATV "3,2" should be A1469 and A1427 for 3,1.. Cant remember where i saw it. I dont know the other part of the modelnumber.. I am also waiting for this "silent" upgrade :)

3. kds1, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If the model number is A1427 what is MD199LL/A? When I went to the Apple Store and picked up the box, MD199LL/A is what was on the price sticker. Then I saw that number listed in the Apple TV article on Wikipedia. Where do you find the A1427 number? Would it be on the hardware itself? Would I find that number if I picked up a demo unit in an Apple Store and looked on the bottom or back of it?

Thanks again, I appreciated your response.

EDIT: I didn't read the Wikipedia article close enough. You are right. A1427 is the model number for 3,1. MD199LL/A is the order number.

4. paulrbeers, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

macrumors 68040

Where you can find A1429 on the unit itself....
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-inc.-apple-tv-third-generation-1080p/P1

However, where you can find it on the box? Not sure. I don't have any of my AppleTV boxes anymore (and a couple I bought refurbed anyway). I'm not sure if the new AppleTV 3,2 will even get a new Order Number since Apple has stated it is a silent upgrade which may mean you won't know which model you got until you open it up (much like when the iPad 2,1 was swapped out for the iPad 2,4 with the smaller and more energy efficient A5r2, both carried the same order number of MC769LL/A).

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks much, great help! I'll have to stop by the Apple Store again and check out the hardware on display.

6. macrumors G4

Chundles

A1469.

Just bought mine to replace a possibly dying 2nd Gen. Will plug it in and see if anything's changed when I get home.

7. macrumors 68020

pknz

Nice!

You purchased it in Australia, from Apple Online store or...?

8. macrumors G4

Chundles

I work for a reseller, saw the new code on the box, checked it, bought it.

There's nothing on the outside that looks any different.

9. macrumors G4

Chundles

Verdict:

It's an AppleTV. I can't see if it's smaller at all - looks the same side-by-side.

It's certainly faster in navigating menus than my A4 AppleTV and the 1080p output certainly gives my photos that extra bit of pop.

Otherwise, no difference.

10. macrumors 68020

pknz

Thanks for posting that.

11. macrumors 601

You sure you have the new 5x?

Cause if you went from ATV2 to ATV3/2012 some people noticed a difference in speed

Maybe you have last years model

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

If he's got A4169, it's the A5X model.

13. macrumors G4

Chundles

It's the new model. And I said I did notice a difference in speed - just not in size.

14. macrumors newbie

Does the box have the new Model #A1469 on it or is there a new Order # for this model as well? If so, can you please share. I'm looking to finally buy an Apple TV and would like to get the new hardware.

15. macrumors G4

Chundles

Product code is still 199whatever/a.

Model number is A1469.

16. macrumors P6

Peace

Do you know if Apple is selling those at all resellers worldwide or online ?

17. macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah, dunno.

Just had a delivery yesterday so I thought I'd do some investigationing.

All the new units we got in were the updated model though. Apart from the tiny model number on the bottom of the box there's no way to tell. I don't see any difference in operation between our 3,1 demo unit and my 3,2. Certainly slicker than my 2,1 unit though.

18. macrumors 601

Open it up see what's inside

19. macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

So is it out?
    Has anyone else seen the new models?
    I ask because I am on the Verge of buying a new Apple TV 3.

20. macrumors 65816

marzer

No one has actually proven such a thing exists, unfounded rumor and speculation. All Chundles said was his ATV3 is noticeably faster than his ATV2. Well of course it is, it has the A5 vs. the A4 of the older generation 2 model, not the A5X.

21. macrumors P6

Peace

Nobody is sure whether or not the Apple TV 3,2 has a dumbed down version of the A5X chip or the A5.

It would be nice to know what chip is inside the new one.

22. macrumors 65816

marzer

I agree. So its best to assume its just the A5 until proven otherwise. Folks buying on the assumption its an improved architecture will be sorely disappointed when they realize its the same A5. I suspect, as has been the trend since the ATV1, there won't be a new processor until generation 4.

23. macrumors member

I ordered an Apple TV from Amazon (US) a couple days ago and received model A1469. Have not noticed anything different then my model A1427, but I'm happy I have the updated version nonetheless.

And no, I'm not going to open it up to look at the chip. :p

~JV

24. macrumors newbie

Stopped by my local Apple Store today, and they have the new A1469 mixed in with the older A1427 on the shelf...

It's faster than my 2nd gen, but that goes without saying.

25. macrumors newbie

BmwMPower05

Picked myself up one from the local apple store. They are indeed mixed in with the 1427's. Feels snappier then my 2nd Gen. which sold for a pretty penny on ebay.