Models?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carve, Jan 14, 2007.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hello, I am interested in buying an iPhone but I do not have $500+. Do you think that they will make a cheaper model priced at $150 or $200? If they made that with only a phone built in, I would ditch my verizon account in a heartbeat and switch over to Cingular's service. Cingular's service is fairly good correct? I am sure that everyone would buy one if they priced it at $100. I know that their is a lot of good "fortune-tellers" and Macrumors, if you could try to give me a guess that would be great! Do you think that the cheaper the phones get the smaller t hey would be or would they put it into a bigger "shell"? Thanks for the help Macrumors!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

To be honest, Apple will never make an iPhone that cheap. It is expensive for a reason, and to make it that cheap is crazy. Cingular can be good but it all comes down to your location.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'm with Zwhaler in that I don't foresee a model coming that cheap, at least not anytime soon.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you don't hear of a lot of people wanting just the phone part - most people are wondering when an iPhone sans phone (just the iPod and mini computer) will be released.

if you want just the phone, there's nothing fantastically special (IMO) about the iPhone's phone. i suppose the greatest thing is that voicemail thing where you can see everyone who left you a voicemail and choose which one to listen to first. i'm in the Washington, D.C. area and Cingular has terrible service here. i heard something this morning about a poll for best service, and Cingular was second-to-last, behind Verizon and Sprint Nextel and beaten only by T-Mobile. this was in the Washington, D.C. area only, though.

i don't think Apple will ever release just a phone - the whole point of the iPhone is to combine the things we all use (most of us, anyway, or at least those who would buy the iPhone) to limit the number of devices we carry.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Doesn't mean they're going to start selling one.

I don't even know why people think Apple could, would, our should sell an iPhone at that price. Their newest product isn't going to be budget. You'd never expect a "Everyone would buy a BMW 3-series if the cheapest model was $9900!" thread at car boards (I'd imagine), or even on mobile phone boards like Howard Forums.

Your only hope of getting a stripped down version of this thing is a new touchscreen iPod, which would mean it doesn't come with the phone. I can't imagine that happening until flash memory becomes rather large, because I can't imagine Apple making an HDD version of the iPhone, but with the phone removed.