models

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Apr 21, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

okay, so we're not talking about the two-legged walking sex-object variety? :p i'm dissappointed now...

are you refering to scale models, like motorbikes, cars, ships etc? not the 3D model?

well, i've done a few model planes, some cars, and my latest have been a couple of bikes, Ducati 916 (beast! :D) and the RedBull Yamaha 500GP bike. my next project is a Gundam model, i'm really looking forward to that one. :D

why do you ask? need help with something?

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Avro Lancaster!

Are we talking WWII bombers here?

Airfix 1:72 mostly :)

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that's a cool one...i bought a b-17, 24, and 29, but only managed to build the first one...it was a monogram 1:48 scale

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I tried to build the MM5 once but while sifting through libraries I realized I had no data to preload into it and no real want or need to see the results so I skipped it.

:)

I did do a paper in college on a heat transfer model with an arbitrary rectangular grid.

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I built a super fortress 1:72 when I was quite young and didn't do a very good job. I always get tempted to do some more, I started a Grand Slam Lanc about three years ago (still waiting for me to finish it) and I had a Dam Busters version for Christmas a couple of years ago but haven't had the time to start it, yes I waste a lot of time on Macrumors but wow, I can loose weeks if I start an Airfix kit with a mind to make a good job of it.

other fave WWII bombers...

Wellington, Halifax, Stirling.

I like the Mosquito too, probably more than the Spitfire and Hurricane.

Cold War - Avro Vulcan :)

8. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

we aren't :eek: :mad: :( :confused:

9. iGav macrumors G3

I was never in to static models, but in the late '80's and early '90's I used to race RC Cars at regional level.

Originally I ran a Tamiya Avante which was at that time quite an exotic kit, with a FRP chassis (twin deck), Aluminium suspension parts, fully ballraced, 3 differentials and was seriously adjustable.

I still rate it as the greatest RC Car of all time, but it never really raked in the results on the international scene where the Yokomo Dogfighter and Schumacher CAT were the most popular 4WD cars (Asscociated RC 10 2WD).

Then I got my mitts on the Tamiya Egress which was fundamentally a very similar car to the Avante but with a number of changes that increased its overall competitivity (Carbon Fibre chassis and Titanium screw set that reduced the overall weight of the car etc).

But by the time I started racing the Egress, I was shifting away from RC cars and more into Mountain bike racing :D

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I used to be into models big time when I was a kid. When I got older, though, I lost interest. My oldest son has gotten a few for Christmas, but has built only two of them in the last 3 years. The rest still sit on a shelf in a box. RC cars are fun. My youngest son gets a new one every Christmas, and now has about 4 of them. It's great when he and his friends start driving them aound the kitchen (and me up a wall :) ) Maybe I should get me a gas powered one? Hmmm.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe... you have no idea how many models I've built in the last few years. I've got X-acto knife calluses on my thumb and index finger from it. I have something like 16 different types of glue laying around for various purposes.

For me, model building is still the easiest way to get a quick handle on how a particular design will look. I can build a quick scale model, take some pictures with a digicam, and use those to create quick hand renderings of exterior or interior spaces.

I used to build model planes and stuff like that, now I build furniture and houses!

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I used to do a lot of models, then I got into model rockets, then replica movie props (mostly Star Wars Lightsabers, but a few other things). Now I have started doing more woodworking. Right now I have two clocks I am working on.

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I used to love doing models (man does that sound bad int eh wrong context ;) ) but I haven't had the time or place to work on any for the last 10 yrs (how time does fly). Maybe when my sone gets old enough I can introduce him to the past time.

14. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i built a few gundam models... that was pretty fun... even though the directions are in japanese...

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

What a good idea. Maybe I should build a couple to put in my office :)

16. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I have about 100 HO sclae model trains and train cars. I also have trucks and cars to go along with them. Most of the model trains come in a kit that you have to build (all you need is cement glue, a screw driver, an x-acto knife, and some patience ;)).

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I still do! :eek:

18. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i used to do alot of military models and diarama's, have a few tanks in the closet, garage. I have a few dusty gundams i haven't started that I got from some store asia bout 10 yrs ago. I have 3 mospeada cyclones i havent' worked on yet, 2 Alpha's, and a 2 from 5 Star Story i haven't had time to finish.

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i never got into rc but put a couple of estes "C" rocket engines into a plastic wwII mosquito model...but cop saw me...not good ;)

he laughed but still gave me a ticket for unsafe use of a flammable object and sent me back home in the back of a police car...my parents had a zen reverend over for dinner and they were shocked...but the zen reverend also found the whole fiasco funny ;)

it's a good thing the airplane model didn't land on the flammable roof of the school...my friend launched a proper estes rocket...but in his backyard and it landed on a neighbor's roof and set it on fire

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I set off the engine once (just the engine, no body/case) and it made a few circles around the yard before making a huge hole in the screen porch. My dad wasn't happy about that one. :(

21. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

haha, me too! Star Wars Lego saved my life on 9/11. if i wasn't so engrossed on finishing my Tie Bomber, i would've been right in the middle of the WTC just before 9am....

oh, i used to build and paint Games Workshop lead figures and models years ago, and keep wanting to get back into it, but no time... and i used to build a couple of tanks and planes also.

i do have two hasagawa models yet to build though, and they're both of the Lancia Delta HF Integrale evoluzione :D i'll get round to them one day i'm sure

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Models I've built: small U.S.S. Arizona. A-10 (Snap together though).
    Models I have yet to build: 1989 Ferrari 3## (I forgot the numbers at the moment). Still trying to decide whether to use the Mansell or Berger decals...
    Models I've bought (or received as gifts): 1/18 cars: 2000 Corvette convertible (blue). 1997 Dodge Viper GTS-R (white w/ blue stripes), 1998 Dodge Viper GTS-R (same), 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (black), Ferrari F50 (Yellow coupe), 1998 Mercedes CLK-GTR (D2), Porsche 550 Speedster (silver/grey), Ferrari F2001 (Michael Schumacher, you don't really need the color do you? :p), Triumph TR6 (Black), Laborghini Diablo VT (White, orange "VT" on the sides), Ferrari Testarossa (red), and a few more that I can't remember at the moment.
    1/24 cars: Dodge Ram R/T (Black w/ silver stripes)
    I also have a small-ish Hot Wheels Ferrari F355, but I don't remember offhand what size it is, but it is bigger than the normal ones.

Trains: All O/O27 Gauge Lionel (Two K-Line cars though). Too many individual cars to really list, so some highlights: Area 51 car, with bobbing alien head, Hershey's hopper (K-Line), and Amtrak and Alaskan Railroad observation cars. Engines: New York Central 4-4-2 steam, Milwaukee Road GP-7, New York Central RS-11. I've been trying to find a Providence & Worcester engine and/or car, but I can only find HO stuff :(

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i was modeling a lot when i was around 14/15 mainly planbes and few ships....
    lets see...
    a 747
    a comanche
    a mig 29
    a f-86 sabre
    a f4 phantom
    a yf-23
    a german night fighter from ww2 (forgot the name)
    a german bomber from (Fw-200 )
    a english aircraft carrier (ark royal ?)
    the tirpitz (took lots of afternoons)
    an apache
    a hind
    a m4 sherman
    a t-80
    the scharnhorst (smaller scaled than the tirpitz)
    a p-47 thunderbolt
    a Me-109

and i have still the prinz eugen and an other airplane lying around unfinished since years ... i suddenly lost interest

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

cool

I remember the Avante was my dream rc car! I had the Fox and the Supershot and raced around a lot. I never did the actual racing because I could never find the groups or course to race on. Do they still do that?

Those RC cars are a blast to build and race. I remember I was so psyched to the Reedy Modified Engine in my Fox.

25. iGav macrumors G3

Yey.... another Avante fan... ;) :) :D

The Avante was the daddy, the quality of it was fantastic.. more so when you consider that all the other cars were mainly plastic at that time. Seriously quick car straight out of the box because of the gearing and Technigold motor, and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY adjustable too, everything could be adjusted, even down to the rear spoiler. :D

It's a shame Tamiya never really pushed it at the races, it was an expensive kit so I guess that had alot to do with it, but it was also considered to be a tad over engineered for an RC car espcially in comparison with the Dogfighter, CAT and Optima Mid... but it did gain some decent results at the track!

I ran mine with a Schumacher Gold Nova which was a 14 Double that offered a good compromise between balls out speed, runtime and decent power. Then I switched to the Tamiya Dynatech O2H (with it's funky ribbed can, and built in fan) but I never got the performance from it... which was strange as it was priced abouve everything Reedy and LRP had at the same time.

Wanna blast from the Tamiya past??

http://classictamiyarc.com/tamcars01.html

I know it's a cliche, but they simply don't make them like this anymore.! ;)