Modem icon dissappears spontaneously

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJ Diktator, Sep 29, 2005.

1. DJ Diktator macrumors newbie

Hi!

Bought my iBook 9 weeks ago, after 3 weeks the combo unit started to **** up. Then slowly everything just went dead, screen and all. Finally my iBook wouldn't even start at all. I got it to an Apple store and they said the problem was the motherboard. It took three weeks to get it fixed. I got it back 3 weeks ago and at first everything was ok. But now som minor errors are starting to appear again. The Modem Icon in the upper menu dissappears when running some programs, and the only way to reach it is through system preferences/internet connect. Maybe not a big thing, but quite irittating in the long run. iTunes is also starting to act weird from time to time. It spontaneously opens and sometimes when running the sound just goes off but the song keeps playing. Weird. Could this be a sign of another hardware problem? Or maybe OSX instability?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, does the modem icon appear when you click on the desktop? Sometimes the program you are running takes up more space in the menu bar and as such, certain icons in the menu bar will disappear.

Something tells me all is not well with this iBook. It may well be the motherboard has been fixed but there was a deeper underlying problem to blame. Call Apple, tell them exactly what's going on. See if they'll fix it. It does however, sound like you have purchased a rare "LemonBook" they occur every now and then because despite the best QA practices in the world, you just can't check them all. So see what Apple will do for you, they may even swap it for a new one if it's not all that old and the problems are growing and then come back here and tell us how it went. I hope you're not a switcher who is going to let one Apple muck-up cloud your judgement.

3. DJ Diktator thread starter macrumors newbie

Switcher

Well, I AM a switcher. And so far I have mixed feelings towards my iBook. I probably won't switch back since the overall experience is ok. But my dysfunctional iBook disturbs me a lot.
    Anyway, YES, I have checked, and the program name-length is not what's casuing the problem. The modem icon seems randomly appear and disappear when i use my ibook. For example, as i type this in Safari the icon were there a minute ago, and now it has dissapperaed again. Mysterious. Calling Apple seems like a good idea, I'll do that first thing in the morning. And i can just wixh and hope, if there's anything wrong with this particular mac, they'll replace it for a new one...