Modem not working

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by awulf, Dec 23, 2002.

1. awulf macrumors 6502

I have a problem with my modem:

(My computer is a PM G4 466 Digital Audio)

In OS X my computer dials up and logs in (most of the time, not always), It receives it's IP address, I go on the net, start using the internet, but then 10 min (or when ever it feels like it) the modem isn't receiving any data, just the computer is sending information still. After time has passed, the computer still indicates that it is connected to the server but the phone line is free, so it isn't.

In Mac OS 9, it dials up and logs on (most of the time), receives it’s IP receives data and then after a while it disconnects, even though it is not supposed to, but this time the computer indicates that the modem is disconnected.

I have found it is working better in OS 9, I have created a new internet account with the same ISP, which made it work better in OS X, I haven't tried out a dial up to another computer yet plus I am reinstalling everything on my computer, to eliminate that it is a software problem.

So, from the sounds of it is it a Hardware, Software or ISP problem?

I'll update on my progress

Thanks

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

What modem are you set using?

If it's the Apple Internal 56K modem, are you using V.34 or V.90?

V.90 can cause quite a bunch of problems with dial-up modems, but V.34 fixes this. Try switching your modem to V.34 and connect again.

I find it ironic you have to connect to the internet to find this info. :p

3. awulf thread starter macrumors 6502

I got a PC to dial into my computer (under OS 9) it connected but then after a few minutes it disconnected.

I've changed it to v34, it curently working but it is only compunicating at 1,200bps.

I also used the 'Hardware Test' cd that came with my computer, but it didn't find any problems