Modem/Router and Airport Express problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coheebuzz, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Hi guys, am in a messy situation with my internet connection and i would appreciate any help. I got an AirportExpress yesterday so i can have wireless music with AirTunes, but there are issues that have to be solved first...

I have a b-focus wireless 352+ modem/router, supplied by the ISP which has 4 LAN ports on the back. The ISP has crippled the wireless functions of the b-focus so its just a router.

What i want to do is connect my G5 to the modem directly because it doesn't have an Airport card, and connect the Express to a second LAN port so that i can get wireless on my laptops.

Until now i have managed to have only 1 device connected to the internet, either the Express or the G5. The only way for both to work is to spoof the MAC address of the G5 to match the one of the Express.

I have tried messing with the routers settings but it always ends up with me calling my ISP's tech support to have my IP released, which means spending 25 minutes on hold.

What am thinking now is that the ISP not only crippled the wireless capabilities of the modem but also it's router ports, so now it's basically just a modem. Or maybe am wrong. Does anyone have a similar problem and has come up with a solution? Can i permanently change that MAC address of the Express rather than the G5's?? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Contact your ISP to hear what they've done with your router/modem. :)

3. Coheebuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

After another 20 minutes on the phone they told me that the modem is configured as a 'bridge' and that only 1 of the 4 ports works - if i want to connect more i have to upgrade my account.

Whats a bridge? Is it permanently locked, or is there anything to do to re-enable the router features?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bridges are basically like routers, but work from MAC addresses instead of IPs. Sorry, but I don't know how to hack your bridge and I'm not sure MacRumors is the kind of place where one might find that information out. :eek: