Modem/Router Hell!! Been working all this weekend running 7 hours straight, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dabisu, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Dabisu macrumors member

Jun 8, 2006
    Alright, this has been one crazy nightmare. Basically I have this DSL modem (Embarq Zyxel EQ-660) that acts as a router istelf and I finally got it into Bridge Mode. I'm trying to set this up on my router, a Linksys WRT54G. Now the problem is if I plug it into the WAN port as you normally would the connection drops and I have to reset both the modem and the router.

About a year ago I had a tech support guy walk me through putting it into Bridge mode with this same router (it broke later so I bought an identical one). I remember him specifically telling me to put it into the LAN port not the WAN. I believe he had me change some settings on the router's web interface but I can't remember what it is now.

Ok, so basically I've been able to keep a steady connection by turning on the router with the DSL modem connected to it's LAN port. However, when I do that it adopts the external IP and I can no longer access to change settings because it's not in the External IP's subdomain. This also means that I cannot connect wirelessly to the internet via Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know a way to make it so I can get on the internet with the DSL modem connecting into the Router's LAN port while still being able access the web settings and connect wirelessly!? I've spent the whole weekend on it and right now over 7 hours straight. I've made some progress but not that much. Any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!

P.S. I have an iMac and it may be slightly off topic, but the people on here are very very helpful, and I'm really dying to get this to work. I hope it's ok.
  2. bitabytex macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    hrm, first off, I wouldn't start setting it up like that in the first place...This is what I would do:

connect the modem directly to the mac by ethernet (just the modem). go the router settings on the modem and make it a Gateway. Turn off the router functions and make sure to enable dhcp server.

disconnect that and hook the modem up to the router via the Internet Port. Now Connect the Mac via ethernet to the router and go to the router settings and make sure it's set as a router and not a gateway. Try to grab the ip address of the modem (you might have to unplug and plug in the modem before you can get an ip address from the dhcp server). Set up your wireless settings and you should be off.

There shouldn't be any reason to bridge these devices together the way you were trying.

Hope that helps.

Edit: after looking some things up, here is the instructions on how to set it up correctly by bridging them:
  3. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

Jun 8, 2006
    Yeah, normally I'd do it like that. But for some reason it gets really messed up. For instance, once I had it set up with wireless, so it's at full strength, and then all the sudden it drops in signal strength (never used to before), but it's still enough where it should be able to function. However no pages will load, nor will I be able to even access the router's configuration page! I have to reset the router and the modem and it'll work for a short period of time and then crash again. A similar thing happened with another router but same modem.

I thought it was wireless intereference but I tested out just using ethernet cables to my Mac and the same thing happened. I also thought it was because I was using Bridge mode, but again it happened. So I'm thinking back to how it was set up a long time ago when the guy told me and all I can remember is he had me put it in the LAN port. I understand what you're saying, it's the most logical thing, just this modem is driving me nuts I want to break it into thousands of pieces. It's taken up so much of my time!

I actually used the same exact guide too. Thanks though, I'm just glad people out there are nice enough to care. I think I should call for tech support but I don't feel like explaining it anymore and going through their diagnostic tests like unplugging the router.
  4. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

Jun 8, 2006
    I probably sound a little crazy it was very late when I wrote those. I'm wondering if I try it the traditional way you said to put the Linksys in router mode not gateway. It came default on gateway. I've tried that but haven't noticed anything different, but I'll give it another shot. But should I make any changes with Dynamic Routing? Would that affect anything?
  5. bitabytex macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    Sorry to hear about all the trouble your having with that modem. In searching for that document, I also came across some other reports of people not being able to get it setup correctly, even after that guide. Since you are having so much trouble with this modem, call tech support and see if they will send you a different kind, because dealing with it for 7 hours is insane.

Hope everything works out.
  6. bitabytex macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    If it isn't already set to Dynamic Routing, then yes, I would change it to that. As for changing things set up already in dynamic routing, I wouldn't have a clue on that, sorry.

edit: also, be sure that the bridging mode is turned off when you try to connect it the way I was explaining the first go around.
  7. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    I suggest you drive to Fry's, or equivalent, purchase a named brand DSL modem, replace this one, send this back. You should be able to connect to the current one to get the settings. Why fight something that can be cheaply replaced?
  8. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    For what its worth my previous DSL connection came with a similar Zyxel modem. At the time I was using a Linksys wireless router (the same as your's but the 802.11B version). Setting it up was a complete nightmare. I seem to remember the solution was really illogical. It didn't make any sense at all, but it worked. If you have the option, I'd dump either the modem or the router (preferably the modem ;) ) and spare yourself the hassle. Life's too short to spend an entire day on getting your internet connection to work.
  9. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

Jun 8, 2006
    If it's as simple as buying a name brand DSL modem I'm going to just try to do that. First I'll check with Embarq/Sprint if it'll still work without their stupid crap modem. All of the Zyxel modems act as routers too, are there DSL modems that are soley modems and not anything I'm going to have to fiddle with!? I read somewhere that Cable modems generally don't have routers in them but DSL modems do.

I'd like to buy one that I know won't have any problems and I'll be able to portforward etc. Can any reccomend a specific model or brand?

Thanks for all the help!