Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkyjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
When I try to connect to the internet, 90% of the time it fails with a message similar to 'The modem has unexpectedly hung up, please verify your settings and try again'.

It doesn't seem like the settings have anything to do with the problem because I have never changed the settings, yet after 2 or 3 tries I am able to connect.

Even though I am able to connect eventually, I am paying for a phone call every time I try to log in which is adding up. As well, the frustration levels are on the rise because the word 'unexpectedly' is the most annoying term ever used in an error message when you've seen it for the 1000th time and it isn't so unexpected anymore.

Have searched the Knowledge Base and the Help without success. Grateful for any advice or even to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
if I am correct there was a thread a while back similar to this. The problem was that the iMac has a .v90 modem, and the ISP (Internet Service Provider) doesn't support it. I know it's farfetched but maybe that is the problem. Try calling your Dial-Up service and ask if they support v.90 modems (check your iMac specs in the Knowledge base, is it a v.90 k modem?) Thats the only reason I can think of, or your service is disconnecting you. I hoep I helped ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have this occur part of the time on Earthlink and it's on a PowerMac. Apparently, certain of the modems on the other end are either not the right kind or have not been upgraded properly to the now old v.90 standard.

I would check with the ISP to see if they have suggestions that don't relate to you buying a Windows machine.

sparkyjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Thanks for the responses - I had read a similar post that was talking about versions not being compatible - apparently when you do a dial up it keeps 're-adjusting' until it matches whatever the ISP has. Maybe in my case, sometimes it manages to match and sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to speak to the ISP and see what they can tell me. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.