Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Yes, I waive my rights to moderation privacy and wish to discuss this openly.

I am happy to follow rules, but it's difficult to follow rules when you make them up on the spot and they are not listed in the forum rules.

Please do not make posts explaining ways of blocking ads.

Since when is this against the rules? There is nothing in the rules about this so why were 3 of my posts deleted today? I have read the rules again tonight to make sure and there is definitely nothing in there.

The first one was the one mentioned below in the pm from the moderator. I really don't understand why my 3rd post was deleted though since I was agreeing with the original poster and saying how unscrupulous the advert was. Somehow that wasn't liked by the moderator. Frankly this is a poor show all around.

dejo said:
Dear theSeb,

This automated message from the moderators is a reminder about a forum rule.

Reason or rule: *Forum Rules Violation*

Your post:
[post]16596484[/post]
Adblock + Flashblock will solve all annoying add problems. The internet actually looks quite good. It's always a shock to go back to browsing on mobile Safari though.

Two things you should know

1. The purpose of this message is to make sure you know about the rule so you can follow it.

2. We'll be glad to give you more information about the forum rules, especially if the reason for this message is not clear from the post and the applicable forum rule.

What you should do

1. You can continue using the forums but please review the Forum Rules in case you are not aware of them or have forgotten them. All forum members are responsible for observing the forum rules in the posts they make. By following the rules you can avoid annoying other forum users.

2. If you have questions or don't understand why you've gotten this reminder, see Moderation Reminders.

3. If you've read the FAQs but you still have questions or a complaint, use the Contact form to ask an administrator to clarify or for a review.

Additional clarifications from the moderators (optional)
-------
Please do not make posts explaining ways of blocking ads.
-------

All the best,
MacRumors Forums

Reminder about which rule?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This may help:
I don't allow ad blocking recommendations on this site. The site exists due to ads and it's a bit of a slap in the face for regulars to suggest blocking them.

The only sanctioned way to remove ads is to contribute to the site for a yearly ad-free subscription.

arn

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, while it makes sense, it's not listed as an official rule. For all I know, you made up that quote. You didn't provide a link to the quote.
Yes, there is a link. Click the arrow next to arn's name.
That solves this problem how? If this is an official rule, then it should be in the rules.
I agree it would be helpful if that was listed in the rules, but it's pretty much common sense. If you own a site that is primarily supported by advertising, it doesn't make sense to encourage members to block those ads.
Just because you seem to have every post cataloged doesn't mean everyone else does. Unless the rule is written in stone it cannot be enforced.
Actually, it can be enforced, whether it's in the rules or not. arn owns this site and can do whatever he pleases with it.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Just because you seem to have every post cataloged doesn't mean everyone else does. Unless the rule is written in stone it cannot be enforced.

Of course it can this is not a democratic board you are here because the moderators let you stay they can kick you off for any or no reason.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Yes, there is a link. Click the arrow next to arn's name.
Gosh, of course! Silly me for not reading a post hidden away in a thread made in 2008. There are times to play devil's advocate. I don't think that this one of them. The problem with the moderation in this case is quite clear.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Of course it can this is not a democratic board you are here because the moderators let you stay they can kick you off for any or no reason.
They usually need to have a reason, it would be bad practice to just boot people randomly.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
No, it does not. I don't see it in the official rules and I cannot read every post.

It's arn's site so if that is what he says, abide or frequent other forums. Doesn't matter if it is listed explicitly in the rules. You were notified by the mods about arn's desires....so adapt or move on essentially

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none

No, that's not how it works. When a user signs up, they agree to follow the rules. I agreed to follow the rules. If the user does not follow the rules, they can be moderated or banned. However, this is a two way street and if the rule is not clearly stated in the official rules, then why am I being sent a reminder about it?

This is a simple problem that needs to be resolved with a quick hit of the edit button on the rules, but it also reminds of us the importance of moderators knowing the rules too and not just the users.

Nov 28, 2010
located
When we communicated earlier, I was about to reply to one of your posts with the addendum, that talking about ad-blocking might not be allowed, since it is on another message board I frequent. But then I remembered reading the rules, and it was not listed here, only on the other message board's rules, thus I kept quiet, thinking it would not be a problem.

At least you did not get TOd.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You're right. I stand corrected.

I'm sure you'll become a moderator soon. :)
I have no desire to be a moderator. What does being a moderator have to do with knowing how to click a link on quoted posts?
You are going to site a post from 2008 and call it a official rule?
I didn't call it an official rule. I simply quoted a post that explains why such posts are deleted.
And I thought it was against to rules to moderate from the sidelines.
First, there is no such rule and second, how is quoting a post considered "moderating from the sidelines"?
Gosh, of course! Silly me for not reading a post hidden away in a thread made in 2008. There are times to play devil's advocate. I don't think that this one of them. The problem with the moderation in this case is quite clear.
I'm not playing devil's advocate. I simply quoted a post that explains why your posts were deleted.

The real issue here is some people like to find any excuse to complain about the moderation on this site. The fact is, this site is not a democracy, it's not a member-owned site and the site owner can do anything with this site he chooses. Get over it! :rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
A rule should be placed in the FAQ/Rules forum if MR wishes to enforce rules. Otherwise it's not a rule.

Some members can't read minds.

There's a reason there is a link to MR rules.

I agree with the OP..

Now it's up to the moderators to fix it.

And imho apologize to the OP for enforcing a rule that does not exist in the rulebook. Common sense is a subjective concept. Not all people have as much of it as others do.

If it's good for the goose it should equally be good for the gander.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
First, there is no such rule and second, how is quoting a post considered "moderating from the sidelines"?
Wait you are now talking about no such rules, when the ad block rule doesn't exist. Can't have it both ways.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
The real issue here is some people like to find any excuse to complain about the moderation on this site. The fact is, this site is not a democracy, it's not a member-owned site and the site owner can do anything with this site he chooses. Get over it! :rolleyes:

I am not some people. I am me and I do not look for any excuse to complain about the moderation. I am raising a specific issue with the moderation policy where moderators are enforcing rules that are not in the official rules.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Not sure why you are raising such a big fuss over it. It is kinda common sense for one. Why else do you think there are ads on the site? Answer that...

You weren't given a timeout or ban, but of a notification explaining the position.

----------

I am happy to abide with arn's rules, if they are stated in the official rules. I think it's quite simple and clear.

But it DOESN"T MATTER. Arn doesn't have to publish ANY rules and if he wanted, could ban users at random via him or his mod team.

You were contacted about it so just live with it now that you do know.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not sure why you are raising such a big fuss over it. It is kinda common sense for one. Why else do you think there are ads on the site? Answer that...

You weren't given a timeout or ban, but of a notification explaining the position.

----------

But it DOESN"T MATTER. Arn doesn't have to publish ANY rules and if he wanted, could ban users at random.
If the site is going to be run that way why post rules at all, just randomly ban people you don'y agree with. You won't get any ad revenue that way as nobody would visit.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

----------

But it DOESN"T MATTER. Arn doesn't have to publish ANY rules and if he wanted, could ban users at random.

You were contacted about it so just live with it now that you do know.

Then what is the purpose of a rulebook ?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Not sure why you are raising such a big fuss over it.
I am not raising a fuss. I am raising an issue with the moderation policy in a plain and calm manner.

It is kinda common sense for one. Why else do you think there are ads on the site? Answer that...

----------

I agreed to follow the rules. A lot of them have absolutely nothing to do with common sense in my opinion, but I follow them anyway, because they are the official rules. I cannot be sent reminders about violating rules that do not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.