Modify Artist in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by SoonToGetAMac, Feb 2, 2003.

1. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Hey, I just got an iBook for $899 (700Mhz, 20GB, 384MB RAM, Combo) :D , anyways I had a question. I copied over most of my MP3s from my Windows XP machine, but I am in the process of ripping a few more CDs. If I want to change the artist for a particular album, do I have to change it for every song on the album, or is there some shortcut I have been missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I don't think there's any way to change the tags for a batch of songs-- especially since it connects to get the names, it doesn't really need a feature like that. But instead of selecting "get info" on the songs (if that's how you do it), you can edit the Artist field right in the iTunes library-- and after you've typed in the new name, it will be there for autocomplete for the other songs--

pnw

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I've never tried it this way but if you go into your itunes folder.....put all your files that are the same artist in the same folder and name that folder what the artist is. That might work...but I'm not guaranteeing it.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

In iTunes, highlight all the songs in the album you want to modify. Hit Apple+i or File -> Get Info. It will ask you if you want to modify the information for all the songs you selected. Click yes. Change the information. Click OK. It's that easy.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Select every song whose artist you wish to change at once either by clicking the top one / holding down shift / clicking the bottom one, or clicking them all individually with the apple key held down and then, once they're all selected, go to File -> Get Info and edit their info there.

6. bombensington macrumors regular

oh you guys are silly! :)

simply select all the songs you want to change at once by holding down the command key and clicking on each song.

then, either hit command-i or the little i button on the bottom, and voila! you can change the information for all songs - not just the artist, but the album, year, genre, and many others.

quick tip #1: if you have a long sequential list of songs, click on the first, then hold down shift and click on the last one. this will select them all at once.

quick tip #2: when you are ripping cds, change the artist/album/etc. information BEFORE you click the import button. it will import with this info. OR if you're connected to the internet, when you put in a cd itunes will automatically connect to CDDB and get the album info for you, thus no typing.

[edit] looks like a few of you beat me to it...

7. SoonToGetAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks so much...the mac community here is excellent, and i just love this iBook!