modify powerbook to take more Ram than spec?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by elandy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. elandy macrumors newbie

Can I modify my Powerbook G4 867 mhz to use more ram than the 1Ghz it was made to accept?

2. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

No. They don't make 1gb 133mhz dimms. So even if it would take it there is no ram for it. This I am 99% sure.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The RAM capacity of any computer is limited by the memory controller chip on the motherboard. It can count up to a certain number of bits on a memory chip, and no higher *.

Granted that when a computer is first released, the specifications may not allow for the maximum module size that the memory controller is capable of addressing, (perhaps because the modules aren't on the market yet) which is why a few machines like the PB 12" 867 and the eMac 1.25 can take 1 Gb modules when the original spec said 512 Mb.

But in most cases the limit is hard-edged and can't be patched without changing the motherboard entirely.

*: This is one reason why some modules work and some don't, for example 256 Mb in a beige G3. 8-chip modules will never work, because the individual chips on the module are too dense, the memory controller can't "count that high". But a properly designed 16-chip module can work, because the chips are lower density, and the controller can cope with them.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. elandy thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both for the answer- what about the G4 series

Thank you for the answer - I also have a G4-dual 533 and G4- dual 500 that I would like to over max with ram. I work on very large photoshop files - sometimes 500 MB and every bit of ram is useful. I go into scratch disc with the first or second action I take.

5. Bear macrumors G3

You didn't say how much memory you have. Also, you should look at Apple's specifications page and you would be able to find out your answers much quicker.

Sometimes the information is easy to find.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The question wasn't "how much RAM can the Mac take", rather "can you modify the powerbook to take more Ram than the specs say"? The specs don't really help in this situation.

Everything above about controllers and motherboards is pretty much true. You can modify a board to take more RAM than the specs say. It would be very costly and require purchasing new chips (which would probably expensive and hard to find) and solder them to the board. It probably would be cheeper to buy a newer computer.