mods deleting posts for no reason?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Lebowski, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski macrumors 6502

i have noticed a few posts dissappear for what would seem no apparent reason.

if a site rule is broken by a post, and that post is deleted.... maybe the mod that deletes could maybe PM the poster so we KNOW why it was removed....

very shady practice if you ask me.

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

whenever a post is deleted, there is a reason behind the deletion. Mods don't go around doing it for fun.

If you have a question as to why a specific post was deleted, I'd PM one of them and ask politely.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I would call it downright outrageous! :)

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They typically only delete posts that are straight up worthless...one word, just a smiley, etc.

If your post gets deleted, you know, for the most part what rule you broke: content-less posts.

6. Lebowski thread starter macrumors 6502

i wouldnt make a thread asking why a smiley was deleted. these are real posts im talking about.

just seems very big brother. a few people get their panties in a bunch over something and just decide they will take it upon themselves to spare others the agony of reading something the mod didnt like....

im a member of lots of forums, and this is a first for me.....

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I have never seen a post deleted without a good reason, and I hang out here an awful lot. That said, this is arn's site and the mods have been given their powers to serve as an extension of him, so they set the rules.

We can abide by them or we can go elsewhere. I happen to think this is the most well-run forum I've ever visited. That's why I come here so often.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The unpaid moderators have enough to worry about just keeping this place clean. Asking them to PM us with reasons for post deletion seems a bit unnecessary and unfair IMO. :)

9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Posts that insult other members get deleted, so are wildly off-topic posts and spam so if your post wasn't of of those, then it may have been deleted because it referenced a post that no longer exists because it got deleted and thus made no sense in the thread and like another poster mentioned, mods don't go around deleting posts on purpose as they do not read every thread but do respond in a timely fashion when other members report a post as either offensive, extremely lame or just in bad taste, so then it's up to the mods' discretion either to delete the post and incur the wrath of the post owner or allow the post to exist and propagate further 'report post' incoming messages or further derail the thread and/or causing subsequent posts in the thread to become more off-topic than it is already or cause negative feelings to develop and could eventually lead the whole thread to be wastelanded which no one really ever wants, except for the trolls who enjoy such delights.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Remembering how I deleted over 100 spam posts from one member one night, I can see my sending him 100 PMs telling him that there was a problem with each post. Uh huh. :p

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could have just sent me one PM reading simply "DOWN JEW!"

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jew know it. :p

Uh oh, was that an anti-semetic remark? ;)

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im calling Mel Gibson:p

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Katie is right, mods only delete a post if there is a reason to do so. :)

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To follow up on this. If you notice a few of your posts disappearing, it is best to take notice that you might be violating the terms of agreement to use the boards.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, when in doubt, read the FAQ. :)

17. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'm part of several forums, most which are larger and more successful than MR. Each one of them (except MR) has a policy of informing members, by private message, if their posts are deleted or removed (except in the case of obvious spam or non-human posts).

This not only lets the user know the post is gone or changed, but also directly why. Just deleting it does not do that. If you tell the user *why*, chances are they will avoid the same mistake twice.

Deleting 5 of a user's posts is more work than deleting one and informing them why.

I'd never imagine curtousy would be unnecessary and unfair.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What's made me really angry... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Recently, I've noticed that mods have been not deleting, closing, or wastelanding a thread, but rather just snipping off the last half of the sentence, so that the post looks like this:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Mods, we will not be silenced!!!!!!!

For those of you who don't get the joke...it is one...worry not.

19. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Maybe there ought to be more moderators? Take more strain off the mods.

That way, the wishes of the OP can be seriously looked at.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Possibly because they're more 'larger and more successful' they can spare the time to PM people about their posts being deleted. The mods here do this all for free, in their own time, with very little reward or thanks...

I haven't noticed you contributing to this site to this degree so those in glass houses...

Sheesh, we're talking about posts here. They're not some precious jewel of literature that has to remain intact and sacrosant, safe from editing or deletion. I've had plenty of posts deleted; it's no big deal.

Besides, as people have already pointed out, if a run of them has been deleted it's prob. for a very good reason.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I agree that the vast majority of my posts that have been deleted have been deleted for the best of reasons. :eek: ;) :D

Sorry that we're so supportive of our moderator team here. But we love them to pieces. ;)

22. Queso macrumors G4

The mods here do a fantastic job. This forum is definitely the best one on the Mac web, and up there with the best on the Tech web too. That's entirely down to the mods, who as Blue Velvet has pointed out already do it for free.

If you want to sound off without censorship, you have to accept others can do it too. Before you know it, you have personal attacks, insults, threads going round in circles, and regular members leaving by the score because they're so sick of it.

No thanks. This place has it right. If I lose a post or two in the process of keeping it that way, I really don't mind.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

What I would like is if a thread got deleted or wastelanded the thread creator got a PM stating that it had been deleted and for what reason.

I know that there was a modification for 3.0 not sure about 3.5 though :/

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, I agree dynamicv, the mods most certainly do a great job keeping MR a great place to visit. :)

25. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Perhaps not everyone thinks so lowly of other people's posts?

It eludes me how one can both simultaineously suck the tit of Apple while kissing the ass of MR.

Keep in mind, it is the numerous posts of the "lowly" users that make MR what it is, not the mods. Additionally, the mods chose to do what they do - no one forced them into that position.

Don't be a mod if such a small task is too much to ask, simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.