Mods Forgive Me

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm sorry, I've posted 1 topic that shouldn't have been in here. It was for a T-Shirt place that discriminates (or it looks like it does) against mormons (and the person who runs the whole thing IS mormon). Secondly I posted in a topic that was Illegal TO SOME DEGREE. Roms are only illegal if you don't have the game. The law states that you can have roms IF and ONLY IF you have the cartridge game. Other than that ROMS are only backups and you can download ROMs as long as you delete them in 24 hours.

I'm just asking that you forgive me for posting in or posting these topics. I'm sorry and I hope I never do that again. Thank you for your time.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's a notion commonly propagated by people who make ROM images available, but unfortunately the "24 hour rule" is entirely fictional. The only legal way to obtain a backup copy of a game ROM is to extract it yourself; Internet transfers of ROM images would be legal if and only if the original publishers explicitly gave permission to do so (and game publishers almost never do that).

A similar story floating around is about so-called abandonware. Again, the copyright is still in force even if the publisher stops selling the product. Unless the author or publisher chooses to make old products freely available (or did so from the outset), once they're gone, they're gone. (people frequently get away with it if the publisher is long bankrupt, the author passed away, and so on, but those rights still belong to someone even if they can't easily be tracked down.)

The emulators themselves aren't a problem, it's all about how you got the software you run on them.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I have ROMs for some old SNES games I used to own or still have lying around. I downloaded them and I don't feel guilty at all. Nor should I.

Providing ROMs may be illegal, but downloading ROMs for titles you already own... it'd be a cold day in Hell a copyright holder tried to prosecute for that. Even the RIAA won't touch those cases because it's too much hassle to prove you didn't already own the material you downloaded (which is why they almost exclusively go after uploaders).

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just because a company may not go after someone, doesn't make it legal. It is illegal to download ROMs from the internet or get them from some other source. The only legal way is to create the ROM from your copy of the game. This falls under the fair use exception. There are some ROMs that are not commercial ROMs and can be downloaded legally. There are very few of these though.

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

My friend let me borrow his ROM ripper. Its pretty neat (this was a while ago), I used it for Super Mario World, cause I have it. So is it still illegal I didn't do all of the roms (BTW I'm deleting them right now, I feel guilty about having them). What if the company has went out of business also? Is there still copyright issues. I mean the company went out of business years ago so is it still illegal

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If the images were made from cartridges that you still have, you're squeaky clean legal on those.

Also, if you have any images you didn't make yourself but you do have the real cartridges, I wouldn't worry about getting rid of those images. You are still within the spririt, if not the letter, of what copyright is trying to accomplish (that is, you did pay for the silly thing).

Yeah, it is :( Part of copyright includes the right not to make any more copies. If the company has gone out of business, either the original author, or the former company owners, or their creditors, or some escrow arrangement somewhere, still holds title to those rights. Sometimes these endings are messy, and the rights are shared by parties who will never, ever cooperate in making future release possible. Sometimes none of the original owners will care at all, but don't want to get involved in explicitly granting permission to copy.

Legally in all those messy situations, the situation for the end user is still very clear, black and white: no permission, no copies.

Now, it's definitely true that what's legal and what's reasonable are different things, and these situations might fall into that area. Since video games aren't exactly fundamental human rights, breaking the laws isn''t really justifiable here :) Working to get them fixed, on the other hand, wouldn't be such a bad idea. That's definitely an uphill battle, but if enough legislators received well-written, hand-written letters (don't bother with online petitions or email) from enough people, they might at least think about it.

7. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for your time and efforts everyone, and mods. I'm sorry about all of the trouble I've caused. And right now my leg and foot is falling asleep

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Next time just pm a mod, you don't really need to make a thread.....

D

9. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Gotta admit though, people helped me on the ROM issue. Sorry I didn't know any Mods' names to PM

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You've been on the forums how long? And you don't recognize RowerCPU, Doctor Q, Mudbug, Eyelikeart, Arn or myself?

:confused:

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The onus would entirely be on you to prove that you "used to own" them. If you cannot prove that, you could easily be prosecuted.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You gotta be kidding me, you "feel guilty" about it and so you're deleting them!? [​IMG]

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I have SNES Roms that I never owned, and I just dont care. I think that ranks right up there with going 7.5 mph over the speed limit.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

EXACTLY.

Is it illegal? Probably. Does anyone actually care (inc. the police)? No.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe so, but I seriously doubt the admin and mods want to be "supporting" illegal activity, by allowing it's continued discussion.

16. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I mean I've gotten to try a few games that I've wanted to in the past that I've never been able to buy or rent myself. But think about it, if I download it for 24 hours then its just like I go to the store and rent it right? Except its free and its almost abandonware. Whats going to happen in 10 years. Is anyone going to care? I have a disc that has them all burned, but I can't find it. Oh well, maybe some other time then.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I didn't say they should support it here. I said to slooksterPSV that I couldn't believe he was deleting his collection becasue of "guilt", and also just pointing out that no one really cares anyway.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You've totally missed the point. It still won't be legal unless the games are released by the company that made them for the general public.

Lets move on.

D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.