Modular PC

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by zelmo, Apr 20, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

A PC that "morphs" into whatever form you need...for a price. Pretty ugly, but I'd like to see what Apple could do with this idea:

linky

better linky

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

pretty unimpressive. So you can turn it into a handheld. But that processor core weighs 9 ounces and I'm sure the screen weighs enough to push the whole thing near a pound in weight. a pound for a handheld. Think I'll pass. Not to mention the premiunm you're paying for a vastly underpower machine with no real cpabilities.don't think apple could do anything with this either because its just a bad idea. Real computers should be real computers, with fast processors, all the ports you need and robust software. hand helds should be scaled down because they need to be light, cheap, and less full featured. Trying to merge the two just ends up with a machine that does everything poorly.

A better idea in my personal opinion is to forgo the whole idea of making a full computer into a handheld, and perhaps do something with the iMac to allow it to run on batteries and use a touchscreen. Something vaguely similar to a tablet PC, but without the compomises. Could be neat for web surfing or watching movies. But even then, a laptop would probably be more capable thanks to the keyboard.

3. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

OK, I agree that it's unimpressive and clunky as a handheld, but I would love for Apple to use a similar tech that let me unplug a core unit from my desktop Mac and plug it into a laptop chassis and/or my truck.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't really see the point to that either. I mean, it sounds great in theory, but the heat issues surrounding use in a laptop or other non desktop environments stand in the way of such a device being a full fledged laptop. And given the premium you'd spend, you could probably just get a cheaper desktop, a cheaper laptop, and get more functionality. Then consider that you can put your home folder on an iPod, and you can make it pretty seamless between computing environments. that, to me, is a much better way to handle it. Or just get a laptop as a desktop replacement and bring it with you when you want and make a mounting for it in your truck (not sure why you'd want to connect it up tehre, but I assume you have reasons). Again, much more functional if not quite as portable.

6. iArtificialLife macrumors member

i will duck tape a tiny display on to the mac mini and buy a fold out keyboard and trackpad.and plug it in to a mobile battery station.it runs osx and is faster and better looking. sales go up on thursday.

note:this=joke
    SOOOOOOOO
    me=no banny

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Or maybe just sync your home folder and preferences to your iPod, plug it into someone else's mac, and voila! you're at your own computer!

8. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

That's the next billion $ idea!

I cloned my pbook to an external hd before dropping it off for repairs and thought how nice it would be if apple would loan me a laptop for the few days they had mine. Then I could start up from my external and it would be like the same machine.

I have heard that this idea has been around for a while (home in ipod) but has been held back for copyright reasons. Make it work Jobs.