Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MOGA today announced that it is working on a successor to its original MOGA Ace Power iOS 7 game controller, sending out a teaser image that depicts a controller with a new Bluetooth-compatible design.

moga2.jpg
The original MOGA Ace Power was compatible only with the iPhone due to its need to connect to the phone's Lightning port, but it appears the second version will utilize Bluetooth instead, connecting to both the iPhone and the iPad much like the SteelSeries Stratus.

MOGA's first controller was criticized for both its poor build quality and its high price tag, two issues that have plagued all of the iOS 7 controllers released thus far. It is possible that with more time to work on the hardware, MOGA's second controller could have a substantially better build quality.

Aside from Bluetooth connectivity, it's hard to discern much about the new controller based on the teaser image. Like its successor, it has dual analog sticks, a d-pad, and a set of action buttons.

MOGA plans to unveil its new controller at the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, which begins on March 17.

Article Link: MOGA Working on New Bluetooth iOS 7 Game Controller

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
in time for new AppleTV

This is going to be for :apple:tv gaming most likely, finally tapping into its potential

vashspike

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
A never-ending loop
If it's not at or below $60 then its not even competing with PS3/4, XBOX 360/ONE or even Wii U controllers.

Many folks overlook the fact that the Ace has a built in battery that charges your phone, similar to a $70 Mophie case. So at $80 it is competitively priced I guess. But they should focus on something that will transition everyone into buying these. Something simple with all the buttons and thumbsticks you need, then focus on value adds such as batteries and the like.

I'll keep using my PS3 dualshock for now with the jailbreak app until a reasonable alternative is finally released. The Stratus is my closest contender so far but until I can snag it for $50 or less I won't consider it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow - you can see the crap quality of their controller already just from this picture. Visible holes that are presumably for screws and huge seams. Retarded ridges around the D-pad. This looks like something I'd expect to see at Five Below, and I wouldn't be willing to buy it at any price outside of what Five Below would charge.

----------

or even Wii U controllers.

I actually like the Wii U's controller a lot. I'd go as far as say it's the best controller I've ever held, though I must admit that I've never touched a 360, One, PS3, or PS4 controller (I have used the original Xbox's controller and the PS1/2 controllers, as well as nearly all of Nintendo's controllers. I think I've even used a Sega controller way back when Sega made consoles.) I suspect you haven't tried using the Wii U controller - it looks awkward but it's actually quite comfortable to hold and control everything with. My only gripe is the screen is really spotty at picking up touches with your fingers (it works much better if you use the stylus) and it's not multitouch. But all the physical controls feel great, the gyro, rumble, and sounds are great, great battery life, and the screen isn't bad so long as you use the stylus.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I like this simply because it seems to be the first MFI controller to adopt the Xbox thumbstick layout which is the bomb.

Pricing will come down over time. There are still few games that support these controllers. And really - under they get the AppleTV involved in iOS gaming in some meaningful way, we'll likely see these continue to trickle in for exorbitant prices.

PrismaticRealms

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
Whitby, ON, Canada
Why always a round d-pad/hat switch? Is it so much more popular and desired than the traditional "+" shaped d-pad, like on the DualShock or even the original NES controller? I really dislike the round d-pads.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why always a round d-pad/hat switch? Is it so much more popular and desired than the traditional "+" shaped d-pad, like on the DualShock or even the original NES controller? I really dislike the round d-pads.

I think it's because Nintendo had a patent on that design. The Xbox One finally adopted this style. I'm not sure if they licensed it or what. But I could have swore that Nintendo had a patent.

I hope they don't charge too much for these controllers. We already know that Microsoft and Sony overcharge for their controllers—but at least they are high quality and feel great in your hands.

I'm really hesitant to get one of these. When I was younger I had a friend who always had crap 3rd party controllers at his house. Usually Madcatz or worse. I hated playing with those pieces of crap. They feel terrible and would always break too. I'm worried these will also feel awful. I might wait to see what Logitech does. Their gaming controllers for PCs aren't too bad—but again, I usually just use a corded Xbox controller because it's that good.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Unless the iPhone has dual-pairing Bluetooth (I don't know merely because I only have the one device to connect), I prefer the lightning connector style controller.

I enjoy my Jaybird Bluebuds X way too much.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I think it's because Nintendo had a patent on that design. The Xbox One finally adopted this style. I'm not sure if they licensed it or what. But I could have swore that Nintendo had a patent.

Nintendo's patent has expired, so that's why Microsoft could use it on the Xbox One controller.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Agreed. Everything is falling into place that will allow Apple to take down the console industry. Game on!!
Hahaha. Nope.

Seriously though, good luck with that, Apple. :roll eyes:

.. they will contribute a valuable optional addition to the living room space though if the ATV rumours are true.

----------

I actually like the Wii U's controller a lot. I'd go as far as say it's the best controller I've ever held, though I must admit that I've never touched a 360, One, PS3, or PS4 controller (I have used the original Xbox's controller and the PS1/2 controllers, as well as nearly all of Nintendo's controllers.
All the manufacturers have made big steps forward with each generation of controllers.. (some people seem to prefer the X360 pad to the X1 one but that's not universal) .. the WiiU controller is decent but I'd not choose to use it over any of the last 2 generations's pads. The WiiU's optional Pro controller on the other hand - that's actually very competitive with the others.

Currently I love the Dual Shock 4 and use it when possible for PC/Mac/PS3/PS4 games.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I'm in the market for a mfi controller. I'm waiting and may buy this if it's larger than the Stratus.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
If it's not at or below $60 then its not even competing with PS3/4, XBOX 360/ONE or even Wii U controllers.

Many folks overlook the fact that the Ace has a built in battery that charges your phone, similar to a $70 Mophie case. So at $80 it is competitively priced I guess. But they should focus on something that will transition everyone into buying these. Something simple with all the buttons and thumbsticks you need, then focus on value adds such as batteries and the like.

I'll keep using my PS3 dualshock for now with the jailbreak app until a reasonable alternative is finally released. The Stratus is my closest contender so far but until I can snag it for $50 or less I won't consider it.

And I guess if the Xbox 1, PS3/4, or WiiU isn't $100, they are not even competing with the AppleTV?

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
Considering the DualShock 4 is

1) The best controller EVER
2) Pairs with anything over bluetooth

I wish whatever Apple has blocking it from talking to iOS would just go away. I use that controller on my Mac and gaming PC and it's magnificent. Hell, the PC can even use its trackpad for mouse input.

vashspike

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
A never-ending loop
Wow - you can see the crap quality of their controller already just from this picture. Visible holes that are presumably for screws and huge seams. Retarded ridges around the D-pad. This looks like something I'd expect to see at Five Below, and I wouldn't be willing to buy it at any price outside of what Five Below would charge.

----------

I actually like the Wii U's controller a lot.

Super late reply, I love my Wii U. I was talking more about the Pro controller in my comparison though. The jailbreak app actually added support for it and it is way better and easier to pair then the PS3 controller.

----------

And I guess if the Xbox 1, PS3/4, or WiiU isn't $100, they are not even competing with the AppleTV?

Super late reply but I couldn't ignore this one. I'm comparing controllers to controllers, not media players to game consoles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.