MOH & Battlefield 1942 on intel Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamesmcd, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Hello everyone,

I thought I might as well join here, and to start off, make a post about a test I did with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Battlefield 1942.

My computer is factory standard iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 512MB RAM, 128MB Video Ram.

Remember that these games are running under Rosetta.

Medal of Honor.
    To give it everything, I made it so the settings were cranked right up. Everything was on max from 32-bit colour to Complex Shadows. I ran it at 1024x768.
    Overall the game ran extremely well. Better than I was expecting.
    I started off with the Omaha Beach level, because this has distant graphics, and generally a lot happening. During this level, the game never dropped below 20fps (except when quick-saving).
    While most of this level ran at around 25-30fps, once I got into the hanger, with no distant graphics, things really started to fly.
    At one point, with no enemies running around, the game was up to 70fps.

Of course, a UB of this game would make things absolutely amazing, however considering this is Rosetta, 70fps was pretty darn good.

Battlefield 1942.
    Once again I cranked the settings right up and ran it at 1024x768.
    Unfortunately I did not have a FPS readout on this game, however I can try to describe it.
    With Battlefield, the maps were quite open, with a lot of distant detail etc.
    The game generally ran with some frame-skip now and then, however you generally stop noticing it after about 10 minutes. I would assume that the game probably ran between 15fps and 25 fps, most of the time, only occasionally dropping below that.

Not as good as MOH:AA, but that is to be expected.

Anyway, these games are both pretty old now, but still not old enough for them both to run perfect on an intel mac.

I also decided to run Doom 3 under Rosetta on limited grahic settings... I was surprised that it was playable, but I will definitely wait for the UB version.
  2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Even with standard RAM? Wow, that's better than I expected.
  3. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Yes standard ram.

I am desperately trying to find a store in NZ that actually has the new type of RAM required for this iMac. It only takes 667mhz PC2-5300 and is not backwards-compatible with any other ram.

If anyone else in Auckland, or New Zealand for that matter, knows of a good place, let me know.

Does anyone know exactly when the Doom 3 UB will be released? Also, does anyone know of a link for the Beta?

4. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    does the framerate drop at all in the games mentioned above, when your firing your weapon at a group of enemies and when there is generally a lot of gunfire?
  5. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Well for Battlefield the easy answer is yes. When there are more than 3 enemies in front of you firing, you notice some frame-skip and an overall drop in frame-rate. I am not sure if lowering the graphics levels would really change anything, as the problem lies with the processor and not the graphics card.
    It isn't too bad, and it is still playable. It would still probably be better than my iMac G4 1Ghz with GeForce 4 MX 64MB.

As for Medal of Honor, there can be the odd frame-skip when many enemies are active in front of you, however it passes right away. It's still pretty good considering its in Rosetta.

Remember that I only have 512MB RAM for this machine though, apparently beefing up the RAM does improve Rosetta performance. I will have to wait and see.
  6. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    jamesmcd: Apple Store (Magnum Mac on Newton RD) would be my first port of call. Other Apple retailers, or

try it
  7. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Thanks for you post. It was very insightful. I've taken the liberty of adding your findings to the Universal Binary Games Guide.

Welcome aboard jamesmcd.
  8. shapiro macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2006
    hey, how did you get it running? i have a mac pro and i cant get mohaa or spearhead to start up even, it just quits with an error. Same thing happens with the breakthrough demo.
  9. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2006
    I cannot confirm the "acceptable" performance of BF 1942.

I tested it on my 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro with 1 GB RAM and 256 MB VRAM, and it's simply unplayable. Even with all settings turned to the minimum, the fps are never higher than about (estimated) 15.

Things turn even worse as soon as a single other soldier comes into sight: the fps drop clearly below 10.

And don't even think about trying any mod: I tried DC and EoD and it's a slideshow.
  10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    I cannot get this game to run at all on my new MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo. What's going on? How did you get yours to run. Does it matter if I have a MacBook Pro?
  11. ntbdaemcee macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    Medal of Honor wont work

Hey i got the newest top model of Mac Pro and Medal of Honor wont work on my computer. Dont know what the problem is. Any one have the same problem or know of this problem or know how to solv it?
  12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    It must have something to do with Core 2 Duo. The original poster had just a regular Core Duo. I also cannot get it to run without crashing.
  13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    Hi, I previously had a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo and Medal of Honor would not run without crashing.... but, I returned my MacBook Pro because of screen issues and I got a Mac Pro instead (2.66GHz Dual Dual Core Xeon) and Medal of Honor (and all the expansions) run GREAT! I have no idea why it wouldn't run on your Mac Pro or my MacBook Pro but, it runs on this new Mac Pro and it runs really really good. I get 50-60FPS most of the time except under very heavy fire which I'll only get 30FPS. I'm so happy now!

By the way, before I tried this game... I updated the Firmware on my Mac Pro but, I don't know if that's what solved the problem. Did you update your Firmware yet?
  14. bloomanchoo macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2006
    I have a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo

... and can confirm that it no worky.

has anyone written Aspyr? :confused:
  15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    I have a Mac Pro and all versions of Medal of Honor work for me. Try updating the Firmware from Apple. Not sure what to say to all you Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro owners.