MOH Breakthrough Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mr_Ed, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

OK, so I finally decided to buy this expansion pack even though it's been out for a long time (well, more like I actually thought of it while I was at CompUSA :)) I got past the initial problem with the serial number being missing and all. My problem is actually getting through the game.

I'm in "Tunisia - Bizerte Canal, Rendezvous with Klaus Knelfer" The question is: HOW IN THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THROUGH THIS PART!!!!! :D

I'm not even playing in the hardest difficulty level, I'm playing on "medium, and try as I might, I cannot possibly bring enough ammo (I've replayed from way back many times trying to improve my ammo situation) to keep Klaus and/or myself from getting killed while he picks open the locked door. Bad guys are coming from both sides and what really pisses me off are the "Afrika Korps" uniformed ones that come out on the deck area of the building that is slightly higher than the one we are on. I can only kill them if I shoot at a narrow angle when they just come out the door. If they get past a certain point, THEY WON'T FREAKIN' DIE! I can pick one of them and unload until he goes down, then pump a few more into him for good measure and he'll just get back up again!!! So, If I shoot them near the door when they first exit, they may die, and a grenade also kills them there. But elsewhere on that "balcony" not even a grenade takes them out. At least the bad guys coming from the other (lower) building stay down when I kill them . . . I've really enjoyed the other MOH games (original + Spearhead) but this particular scene, with "immortal" soldiers is pretty lame.

Anyway, that's my rant/question :D Any advice would be greatly appreciated . . .

2. applekid macrumors 68020

GameFAQs.com will save the day!

Check out a walkthrough (remember the since the game is a port, the walkthroughs intended for the PC version still apply to Macs) and beat the game!

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

And then there are always, *looks around*...cheats...Go to cheatplanet.com. In order to to use cheats on the mac version, you have to hold down shift right when you launch the application and the console should open up. Enter what it tells you to do on cheat planet and you should be able to enter cheat codes. Further info and, of course, the cheats are available at the MoH: Breakthrough page at cheat planet.

http://cheatplanet.com/pccheats/medal_of_honor_allied_assault.htm

4. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot!! :D

I went to GameFAQs.com and found the walkthrough for the mission I was doing (Bizerte Canal). It was cool because I could read just that one (I was through most of it already) without spoiling the rest of the game. I figured out I was wasting ammo in some situations I didn't need to use ammo. I replayed the whole mission from the arrival and after a few more attempts on the roof, I got through it. With ammo to spare, no less!

Thanks again for the tip!! :D

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The entire expansion pack is very short on ammo re-fills. Make sure you have the rifle-butt smack key mapped to something comfortable. I used it more in that expansion pack than in all other first person shooters I've ever played combined.

6. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll keep that in mind. I have really lousy habits when it comes to conserving ammo because I mostly play these games in on-line multiplayer mode, so I tend to just shoot everything in sight :D

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Speaking of Breakthrough, how is it? I got the orginal Allied Assault about a year ago this week. It seems fun.

8. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

I mostly bought it to get the additional maps for on-line play since that is what I usually play but I have to admit I am having a lot of fun playing the single player game. I haven't actually played the new maps on-line yet but from walking through them, I get a sense they are a bit more complex and interesting (larger, maybe) than previous iterations of the game.

One bad thing I have noticed is that the original MOHAA game played nicely on my system (Dual 1GHz G4, 1GB RAM, GeForce4MX w/64MB) but the "Spearhead" expansion pack had some missions (most notably, the first one) that played like crap (low frame rates, nearly unplayable without turning down settings). Unfortunately, the "Breakthrough" expansion pack is no better than "Spearhead" in that regard. I've got my graphics settings turned down quite a bit right now. I don't know what those guys are doing over at EA Games. The Unreal Tournament games and Rainbow Six 3:Raven Shield play nicely on my system but they use a different engine, I guess.

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I was able to get the Breakthrough demo to run on my 933 MHz G4. I have 640 MB of RAM and 32 VRAM. But that was with it on lowest settings.

So, in other words, if I can get Breakthrough to run decently, it will be worth the money?

10. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

I've noticed the multiplayer games seem to run a little smoother than many of the single player missions, so don't be shocked if the full version does not perform as well as the demo. That said . . .

I haven't played all the single player missions yet but thus far, it has been both challenging and fun. It was most definitely worth buying: $9.99US at my local CompUSA :D A lot of 'bang for the buck'.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That's an amazing price! I just ordered a copy from CompUSA.com. The Apple store sells it for $30! It's a deal I couldn't miss out on.

12. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was surprised by the price of Mac games at CompUSA. I also picked up "Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield" for $19.99.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It's $40 at the AppleStore. I think I'm done purchasing games at the Apple Store knowing Compusa is selling them for about half less money.