Moller International's Skycar - WHEN?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacVault, Mar 6, 2004.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Just wondering if the SkyCar (http://www.moller.com) will ever become a reality.?? I've been keeping my eye on this thing for the last 6 or 7 years, and it's starting to seem like a classic "vaporware" idea. The dates for launch seem to keep getting pushed further into the future every year. If it really came to be it seems like it would almost be the holy grail to personal transportation. I WANT TO BUY ONE NOW!

But now they're selling crazy stuff on their website such as life-extension-almond-butter, another endevour by Paul Moller so that he "can see the day that his SkyCar actually flies". WTF!?!?

:confused:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

my impression has always been, regardless of what claims they lay out, this thing couldn't hit the market for 10-20 years. If it's really possible, and not a pipe dream/investor scam. Granted, they have produced at least prototypes, which have been displayed at various events. But, judging from the website, I'd say it's not going to happen at all-- the site is pretty poorly constructed for such a revolutionary company. They didn't even test their links out. Maybe someone actually believes what they're saying, maybe it's just a dead-end scam. Either way, i doubt it'll see the light of day.

Beyond that, there are serious logistics problems... Fuel is a big one, most gas stations i've been to don't have jet fuel on hand. And, the average consumer can barely drive a car, let alone pilot a small aircraft. Learning to drive one of these safely, and proper licensing, would be a huge hurdle. I don't think society will be ready for personal aircraft for a century or more.

paul

3. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    says on the site it uses automotive fuel, so i guess that's ok, kind of weird dropping in at BP to fill up though i would think.

and i thought they were actually working with the FAA or whatever it is to get a special license for the machine, maybe i'm thinking of something else....

still, i'd take one over a mclaren F1 any day, same price too (roughly)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When...

[​IMG]

which should be the time the US finally decides to upgrade the air traffic control system.

NASA is still developing their version of the consumer air taxi based on highways in the sky and completely automated flight in air corridors, but this also needs the complete new air traffic control system.

Sure they're saying their making progress showing the new computers in the towers, but that's glitz on top of ancient radar systems and computers.

Sort of like putting emissions, DVD, ABS, etc. on a unchanged Model T.

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

You can already put down money to buy one when they come out. one of their pages says that it will receive faa certification no later than the end of 2006. It runs on unleaded gasoline, but moller has also made a version for the army that runs on diesel and a natural gas version for an unspecified organization.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

One of the problems with this car is that it can only land at airports and heliports, and isn't really meant for street driving, only taxiing. If I could land it in my driveway, or even in a parking lot down the street, it would be better.

That being said, I still want one. :cool:

OTOH, after 9-11 and Bush's paranoia campaign, I think the chances of this system coming to fruition are about as good as winning the powerball. :mad: :(

7. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, the SkyCar "can" land just about anywhere thanks to the VTOL capability, thus eliminating the need to "drive" it down the highway. As for where the FAA will "allow" it to land is another thing.

As for post 9/11, I think the SkyCars would be less of a security risk than the pig planes that can do lots of damage. A SkyCar would not have put a dent in the World Trade Centers.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It could take off from any area, it has enough lift to take off vertically. 30' on a side.

I have been watching it for over a decade. I saw it in popular science and the weekly world news about 13 years ago. Yes both publications. Both instances they were hyping it as being just around the corner. It seems to work. Control technologies are beginning to make it much practical for joe and josephine 6 pack to get one.

The big thing they need now is better lobbyists.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I've been sort of following the Moller stuff for more like 30 years, and understand that even then there was something like 10 years of work behind it. Sure it's vaporware, but yeesh, that guy's persistent.

10. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

It's all a scam. This guy gets his money from selling knicknacks like tshirts, photos, and blueprints. He's been doing this for over two decades now. But now I see he's into life extending almond butter. If this doesn't tell you all you need to know about his operations, then I got a bridge or two to sell you CHEAP!

11. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I've been hoping all these years that the SkyCar is real but yea, it's starting to seem more and more like a bunch of hot air. A revolutionary aircraft manufacturer trying to sell the SkyCar spec sheets and life-extending almond butter. WTH!?!?

Guess I'll have to build my own SkyCar :mad:

12. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

www.moller.com seems to be down this morning. I've never seen it go down before. Hmmm???

13. KinkyJedi macrumors newbie

None

Ill think youll find that this is probably going to happen..... if you look hard enough you will find videos of it flying in testing..... its not perfect but it does fly so thats half the battle won no?

Also by regulations you can land it anywhere as you can declare any piece of land of a certain size (about the same size as a large car) as a private helipad to land your skycar on. Also helipad registration is free in most countries :p

Also a while ago i remember a spokesperson revealing that the 2 seater skycar would work for manual piloting before NASAs "skylanes" were implemented. And then a 2 person and a 4 person automatic skycar would follow...

Kinky x

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this makes the bugati veyron look like a toy, with 4x lower fuel consumption

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont see any flying cars until we discover antigravity, fact is it takes just way to much fuel to get airborn vs rolling on the ground with current tech.

16. jaysmith macrumors regular

most people can't drive on the ground yet, god help us when this beast takes flight.

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The thing gets about the same mileage as an SUV. Better than a lot of them actually.