Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
This is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the sickest things I've ever read:

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- A mother was arrested on suspicion of murdering her newborn daughter by microwaving the baby in an oven.

China Arnold, 26, was jailed Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, more than a year after she brought her dead month-old baby to a hospital. Bail was set Tuesday at $1 million.

"We have reason to believe, and we have some forensic evidence that is consistent with our belief, that a microwave oven was used in this death," said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County coroner's office.

He said the evidence included high-heat internal injuries and the absence of external burn marks on the baby, Paris Talley.

Arnold was arrested soon after the baby's death in August 2005, then was released while authorities investigated further. Betz said the case was difficult because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings."
CNN

I gotta tell you, my jaw dropped when I saw that headline.

If true, even if it turns out the woman is clinically insane...Jesus H. Christ, what a thing to do. :eek:

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
What the hell is she thinking? WTF mate? A baby is a blessing. That is frigging idiotic!

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Really crazy, how can you do that.

This case made me realise how great this Japanese idea would be.

A JAPANESE hospital plans to set up the country's first "baby hatch" where mothers can drop off unwanted babies, who could then be offered for for adoption.

Link

I disliked the idea of a 'baby hatch', but now it seems like a good idea.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City

Link

In NYC we have something similar to this. You can drop off a baby at any police station anonymously. It was too prevent crazy stuff like finding newborns in the trash bins or other sick stuff like that. But unfortunately even with that, we still find dead babies every year. I'm not sure statistically if the number has gone down or not with the drop-off plan.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
As a father of two, that literally makes me sick to my stomach. I just wish they would make a microwave big enough to put her dumb @$$ in. :mad:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Microwaving the baby in an oven...

maybe i am just used to saying microwave as a verb AND a noun, the quote above means she used microwave radiation inside a normal baking oven.

know what i mean?

id would be best to say she was microwaved, instead of microwaving which is barely a word.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
maybe i am just used to saying microwave as a verb AND a noun, the quote above means she used microwave radiation inside a normal baking oven.

know what i mean?

id would be best to say she was microwaved, instead of microwaving which is barely a word.

I would personally not be in a nitpicky grammar mood after hearing about what happened :p

Here's one rare instance where I would advocate the Old Testament philosophy of "eye for an eye"...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hold on a second here. She's been accused of the murder a year after the actual event, and the night before the baby was taken to hospital the mother and father both went out, leaving the child with a babysitter.

Although you've got to wonder how many mothers out there leave their month-old newborn with a babysitter, I'm sure that's not a crime in any of the US. So far it's innocent until proven guilty from my POV.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I'm wondering how long it will be until they roll out some form of insanity defense.

the basis for such defense is thus:

would you, as a juror, consider ANYONE who could possibly commit this crime to be of sound mind?

would you, as a juror, be crazy to do such a thing?

9/10 says yes, she goes to a hospital and not the chair.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Would this be something that someone with a severe case of baby blues would do?

Either way... so sad... :(

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
the basis for such defense is thus:

would you, as a juror, consider ANYONE who could possibly commit this crime to be of sound mind?

would you, as a juror, be crazy to do such a thing?

9/10 says yes, she goes to a hospital and not the chair.

The objective facts - microwaving your own infant offspring in an oven - may point to insanity. But subjectively, the method used could be simply to obscure the facts by engaging the emotions of those involved and driving them instantly consider "This person must be INSANE. How could she DO such a thing?".

To kill a child in this fashion, about which there is very little prior forensic data or scientific knowledge, may simply be the result of a highly calculated attempt to blamelessly rid herself of the child utterly and not some insane craving for crispy baby or "to see what happened". (See snopes.com for various apocryphal tales of babies cooked following drug intake/hallucination.)

Even if it is proven that the child was killed by being microwaved in an oven, it is only one part of proving that the act was carried out by Arnold. If this were taking place in the UK (especially Scotland), I would expect acquittal due to insufficient evidence. It'll be interesting to see what happens, especially since Ohio still has the death penalty. Urgh.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá

Link

Germany has had "baby hatches" for a number of years.

I also think judging someone from a newspaper report is somewhat silly.If past cases are anything to go by a sane person is much more likely to commit a crime like this than someone insane.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003

Link

You can do this in the US already. It saves a lot of babies from abandonment or mistreatment.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I agree that hatches are a very good idea. If a mother is unfit to care for a human being, why take any chances? Give the infant a fighting chance at a good life, instead of...you know...nuking it.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
wow. that is really sad. for the baby but even moreso for the mother. imean, to be that desperate to get rid of your child or that insane....

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I just wish they would make a microwave big enough to put her dumb @$$ in.

I agree, that is what she deserves.

Would you think a good thing had been done? Would you sleep easier at night? Would you like to watch it? Would you cheer as it happened? Would you buy a DVD of the event? A promotional tshirt? Would you truly feel that justice had been done? Would you be proud?

I expect a microwaving for a microwaving would leave everyone cooked.

Tsk.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hold on a second here. She's been accused of the murder a year after the actual event, and the night before the baby was taken to hospital the mother and father both went out, leaving the child with a babysitter.

Although you've got to wonder how many mothers out there leave their month-old newborn with a babysitter, I'm sure that's not a crime in any of the US. So far it's innocent until proven guilty from my POV.

I agree with your viewpoint actually.

I am sick of "media mob's" caused by overzealous journalists, or other groups spouting off information or stories about touchy cases like this. I do not like what has happened to the baby, however I refuse to pass judgement on something strictly by what the media is reporting.

There have been too many tragic cases in which people wrongly accused of some of the most horrific crimes, had their lives ruined by media broadcasting these false stories. When things like this happen, and the real truth is discovered, it is rare for the media to even bother covering it, or updating the public. They love headlines, or ratings and make money on them.

If this story is in fact true, and she is truly guilty, I agree with many things being said here.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's hard to cause internal burns unless you use a microwave, though. Maybe she didn't do it. Maybe someone else did it. However, it was done via microwave, and I'd think that it would be easy to show that this is the only way most people are going to be able to do such a thing without other special equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.