Mom cuts off baby's arms

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...I just have no words for this...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Link

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

These stories crop up all of the time, mother drowns kids in bathtub, mother smothers baby, etc.

What goes on in the minds of these people is beyond comprehension and defies all logic.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Oh man, this is terrible. It scares me to think how many thousands of people with similar disorders are out there right now, just one bad episode away from doing something like this themselves...

4. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

That is absolutley terrible. I wonder what the father is doing now... he has my sympathies at any rate.

5. apple2991 macrumors 6502

6. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Doesn't anyone think it's odd that the father called to have someone check on his family?

Maybe he could tell something was off that morning...

Just sad.

My prayers go out to the family in hopes that they can stay together.

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

This is one of the most disgusting and disturbing stories I've ever heard... just sick.

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

That's sad/unbelievable/crazy/rediculous/wtf man/who the hell does those type of things?

Who cuts the arms off of your baby? I didn't even want to read the thread after I saw the title... :(

9. oreo macrumors member

That is so awful. I can't imagine what was going though her mind.

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Most of those mothers had a history of postpartum depression; they're not in their right mind. I've also noticed that the mothers in most such stories I've read already had multiple kids when the murders occurred, and were stay-at-home moms. In other words, in spite of the fact that they've got a history of near-psychotic postpartum depression, they keep having a brood of kids, which they're then left alone with every day until they finally snap.

You never read about this sort of thing with well-educated career women who have other outlets for their self-esteem and energy, I've noticed.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Sad

Very sad and sickening (even though the mom may not have been mentally well). No child (or anybody) should have to have their life end so horribly. I really don't even know what to say about this other than it makes me feel sad inside, especially when a defensless baby is involved. My heart goes out to the family :(

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sorry, but I would say take her behind the house and shoot her in the head.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What is up with Texas?

These mother killing children episodes keep happening there.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So this woman's defense will probably be that she has a history of suffering from post partum, which may be a good enough excuse to get her off.

I say the punishment should be to cut her vagina off.

15. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

This woman sounds like she may have been a fundie Xian, just a theory. Anybody know? :confused:

I think the proper punishment should be weekly canings of 100 lashes on her bare bottom. :D

Only in Texas! :rolleyes:

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As mentioned above, severe postpartum depression is a mental illness caused by a chemical/hormonal imbalance. These women literally are unable to control their actions. They come out of it eventually, and are often suicidal upon realization of what they've done.

Anyone who has had a baby knows that there are times that try even a sane person. A mentally ill person snaps.

This is a horrible thing, but the woman is not to blame. Some women are prone to it, and others aren't.

I don't think education has anything to do with it except that more educated women tend to work and tend to send their kids to daycare and tend to have fewer children. A screaming infant at home - especially with other small kids - is a dangerous situation, and one not necessarily recognizable beforehand. Sometimes, these women just lose it.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is just so sad. May this little 11 month old girl now find rest with Jesus. Post Partum Depression if a psychiatric illness. Someone has dropped the ball not noticing that she was ill. It can be treated. Although the woman also in Texas that drowned her children, the husband could get the doctors to help. :eek:

My prayers go out to the family and friends. :(

18. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Ya know, this story is all over the major news outlets, so why does it have to show up here? What is anyone, in their right mind, going to say regarding this act? Obviously, it's a abomination. I really don't want to even consider it in my mind.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You noticed, huh?

I agree with what JSW said, but you know what? It's not gonna make a lick of difference whether she's mentally ill or not. This was Texas. She's gonna go to jail for life like Susan Smith (the woman who drowned her kids in the bathtub).

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I wonder...

How different the reactions would be if it were a serial killer/random psychopath?

One could chalk it up to the isolated suburban lifestyle. Back in the day there would be grandparents and other relatives around either on a family farm or in nearby houses for city dwellers.

As for punishment, execution would be a kindness.

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

The article only noted the hymn playing in the background during the 911 call, which isn't necessarily indicative on its own; but the mom who drowned her kids in the tub (that was Andrea Yates--Susan Smith was the one who drove them into the lake) was a fundamentalist Christian who was home-schooling her kids.

While I'm not pinning this on Christianity, I do think that the way some people practice that faith--no birth control, the traditionalist "women should stay home with the kids" values, home-schooling that can isolate not just the kids but the mom from the support of the community--contributes to a set of circumstances that does NOT mix well with psychotic postpartum depression. Andrea Yates had, what, FIVE kids? even though she'd been on meds after at least two of those pregnancies so she didn't kill herself? Why do these families keep popping out more kids? And why do they leave the mother alone with them, without relief, resources, or respite?

If I had to go on meds to prevent psychosis every time I had a baby, I'd stop having babies! It's just common sense.

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Uh...oops. :eek:

The rest of your post makes some good points, too. Wasn't one of those women told by her loopy fundamentalist minister that her kids were in danger of being grabbed by Satan or something? That seemed to be what drove her off the deep end (no pun intended).

23. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Don't you mean sew it shut, or something? Why just not go for the tying of the tubes...

24. drMinky macrumors newbie

I'm sure Mullah Omar, Idi Amin and Dr Mengele would be right there with you on that one!
    :mad: