Monday Night Football moved to ESPN in 2006

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dandaman, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Dandaman macrumors 6502

2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they'll carry over John Madden and whats his name or install new voice guys. I'll be interested to see if the ratings improve being as its on cable as opposed to free over the air broadcast.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not a football fan, so this in no way affects me. I don't even get ESPN on my Cable selection. For me this is a positive development. It was disturbing to me when my program and local news was delayed due to a game. ESPN is very popular in Boston, so the program should still do very well. At least when the Patriots play.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I wonder what they'll do with presenters? I can't stand either of the ESPN/ABC crews - they ignore the game and talk about the personalities too much. I'd love to see one of them poach Brian Baldinger over from FOX. He's tops at spotting what's going on in the games without gushing over prima donnas.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting development, but I suppose not all that surprising. MNF is as old as I am, and it will be strange having it on ESPN instead of ABC. I wonder what they'll replace it with? Kind of a Catch-22, I would think. ABC wants high ratings. ESPN wants high ratings. They're owned by the same company.

Obviously they compete now, but with ESPN wanting to show it can carry something like MNF, I would think they'd be careful about what they stack against it.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Surprising. I thought the ratings were OK for ABC for MNF. And i guess that NBC couldn't get anything worth watching on Sunday nights.

I feel sorry for diehard fans of MNF. Not everyone gets cable. And the commissioner should check out what basic cable truly is. I have it with Cox, and no ESPN - not that I would watch any ways.

Like always it is about the money. The cable companies and Disney will see more profits from those that add cable or add ESPN to their lineup. Not too mention beer companies and their tie-ins with bars. Sad thing is that people will pay the price.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

interesting, i dont watch tv anymore, but i would occasionally watch the game at a friends house if someone was playing when i was over, i dont care that much....but i suppose they are doing this to get more people to move to cable/satelite

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Was going to point out the two things emw (welcome home) and Chip stated.
    1 both owned by disney
    2 Non cable/non dish homes will be left out (boo)

Interesting, but really just an example of our lifestyles now, everything is subject to and expect to change.

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm fine with that as long as they replace John "Let's point out the obvious" Madden

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just as long as Joe F****** Theismann isn't on anymore. That guy is so intimate with Ron Mexico... er, Michael Vick that he's having to be tested for STDs himself. (We Panther fans especially hate Theismann because of comments like "Tonight, Michael Vick takes on the Carolina Panthers". Yeah, put him in the game all by himself and let's see how long he lasts.)

P.S.: I typed the asterisks myself. Really.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Really making it easier to try and live with rabbit ears or an HDTV antenna. I am really wrestling with what I will do in my new place in the next month or so.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

And the NFL has to support those outrageous salaries. It's amazing what these guys make.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And I have said it before, as long as we as consumers support the leagues with our hard earned dollars - they will try and find new ways of getting in to our wallets.

I mean Taggie-Boo's comment that ESPN is on basic cable, sort saying that it would not be a hardship for the fans and viewers. That slaps in the face of those that don't have cable, or don't in the case of Cox in Fairfax County - is part of the $40 "Mega Basic" package.

I guess it just proves the old saying, the rich get richer - and the poor get poorer. :eek:

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought Cox and ESPN had worked out a deal, or is that on a franchise basis only?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not much of a fan of NBC Sports, especially the olympic coverage which was usually spotty, although they did good last summer. Costas never shuts up and you cant focus on the game. He's almost as bad as Joe Buck. :eek:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

ABC has seen ratings fall over the years for MNF and they don't want to pay the money for the rights. The NFL can ask for big bucks from ESPN, The big deal here is that Monday Night Football will not be the big game anymore and NBC will get a better Sunday night deal than what ESPN gets now.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Might be. I just looked at the line-up for Cox Fairfax, and the ESPN is part of the Expanded Basic.

BTW, better watch out for the "Posting Police". I had some snide comments made when I posted to what I thought was going to be a hot thread with what some counted as 5, others as 6 posts in a row. You are coming awfully close to getting their wrath. :D