money is taboo

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 6, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just saw a poll on the liveapple home page talking about what is the rudest thing to do concerning money

1) asking how much you paid
    2) asking how much you make
    3) stiffing a waiter
    4) reneging on a debt

i think thr first one isn't rude at all...i don't know if it comes from me being raised in a store, being a business major in college, or having two businesses now

one thing i will never do is take out a loan i know i cannot pay rather quickly...like a long term student loan...i got half way through graduate school on my own money and some credit card help...less than 5 or 6 grand...but chose not to fund the 25,000 dollars left in classes from a student loan...now if it were my ba/bs, i could see going into debt for that much, but since it is grad school, it is hardly as necessary so i will choose to finish when i can afford it

i do know of a man with three master's degrees, one which i know is from a private university, and he is more than 150,000 dollars in debt and he plans to never pay and die that way...with a huge debt and three advanced diplomas hanging on his wall...it does not bug him in the least and i have met a lot of people that way...they figure if the government spends so much money stupidly and lets its own congressmen bounce checks left and right, then why worry about paying off a student loan?

i still believe in paying off a federal student loan if i had it, but hearing about former vice president dan quayle spending millions using air force 2 to fly around his buddies for golf rounds does not make me comfortable about govt spending:p

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this seems like such a dumb poll to me. i mean, the first two are a kick in the can. the second one is like a misdemeanor and just really rude (depending on the waiter). the last one is so obviously the answer it's not even funny.

i think that going into unsecured debt is just a really bad idea, unless you absolutely have to, like you can't afford to buy a decent car straight up and have to have a car to get to work. but going into debt to buy a 20-25,000$ car, which will not be worth anywhere near that in about a year or so, is just so dumb to me.

but america, it seems, doesn't take debt seriously at all, as you mentioned. even the government is rather nonchalant about its own debt, from what i understand.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I wouldn't be offended by any of those. But I guess I'm just wierd.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's because you're a student and its not as big a deal as someone who's working full time.

Its all pretty silly most of the time - but it can get really touchy if its in the work place when you find out who's making more than you are. Its scary sometimes.

D

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I took that poll on Netscape. I thought that the answers were interesting!

1) asking how much you paid 4%
    2) asking how much you make 23%
    3) stiffing a waiter 17%
    4) reneging on a debt 56%

It ends up that reneging on a debt hurts everyone! Businesses just raise prices to cover their losses!

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you woudn't be pissed if someone borrowed a great deal of money from you and then refused to pay it back? i think you may be in need of the smack ot truth and sense!

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

scemo is like me in being too trusting of the honesty of others! I always like to give people a chance, I'm not one to lend though! ;)

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

when i lend, i don't expect anything back...that's not some great thing about my character though, it's just experience and not placing too much emphasis on money

money is like beer...in like yellow liquid, out like yellow liquid

as for major loans, i just don't see the need to take out a student loan for something i don't need...so i will wait and pay for what i need to on my own dime

i also want a 12 inch powerbook, but i won't get one from my credit card, but cash

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Actually no one has ask to borrow money from me since college!

I try to save, but my wife is the one that likes to spend. That is why it's good that opposites attrack. So that each can moderate the other.

I pay off the balance of my credit card each, don't like to pay interest.

Sounds like you are a true firend Jef! ;)

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

not being cynical is one thing. that's good. we're talking about how offensive it would be if you actually got stiffed on a loan you'd given out. this is not "the chance of having someone repudiate a debt to you," this is them actually doing it. it has little to do with trusting people. this is about how you feel about certain actions.

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

thanks, wd

i used to have something like a dozen lines of credit but i have greatly reduced that and hopefully i can eventually limit things to one credit card or no credit cards

i know when i pay interest, i am helping the whole economic wheel and perhaps the credit card and loaning industry create more jobs than any other business...it certainly gives people incentive to work and do a good job...so they can pay off their credit cards and debts

when i first took econ 101 twenty years ago, the professor told the class that debt is necessary for a healthy economy and a defecit is a good thing...our country once had a true surplus in the 1800s and it caused a scandal and almost ended the career of the president and threatened our very existence of our nation...we didn't want the government taxing us and making a profit and lining their pockets...that is what king george III and the british empire did to us only a generation earlier

now i understand the politics and mechanics of debt and interest and the absolute need to make and spend cash to make the money revolve...if money stays stagnant, it can poison the whole organism of our economy

rant over:p

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was saying that I wouldn't mind if someone
    asked me how much I made/my salary. I
    would definitely mind if someone borrowed
    from me and didn't pay up. ;)

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

when you are self employed like me, what i make is chipped away with taxes and expenses and what i really make is what is left over...it can be depressing at times

sometimes i think i want to just work for somebody and have them deal with the expenses and all i have to deal with is the money taken out of my paycheck for uncle sam and the state...but i can't stand being in a rut and standing still, so i press on

for any business these days, having anything left over is a good thing and so many businesses, while they post a good amount of money coming in, eventually end up losing money when their taxes and expenses outweigh what initially came in

i somtimes think that apple inc's profits are there because they overcharge slightly for their gear...if apple tried to be competitive pricewise with wintel, they would go under and we would have no macs

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you know, in higher society, money is kind of taboo; everyone's gotten really discreet about it. Cash is for tipping and parking, only. You pay with a card anywhere else, there's nothing worse than whipping out a wad of cash and peeling bills off-- it makes you look like you're trying to show off or something. discreet is the best word i can think of... even credit cards... i think it's kind of a rebellion against the excess of the '80s and '90s... no one wants to see how fancy your platinum card is... when you pay at a nice restaraunt, you casually take the bill, slip your card in (without looking the bill over, don't want to seem preoccupied), and slide it back across the table. i think the whole idea is to show how much you don't care about money and that it's a mild distraction...

that said, i don't really mind discussing money or any of that. (the above isn't my view, rather what i've observed)... i've gotten in trouble for asking friends how much they make-- for me, it's not really an issue, sometimes in a situation or conversation it comes up. but i would never tell someone what my partner and i make combined unless they're a good friend... i don't know, it's all kind of weird...

i stopped making sense, didn't i? ah well.

:)

pnw