Monitor Adapter to work with Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ITASOR, May 9, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Today I was all set on ordering (i think so anyway) this:

http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5506588

That was, until I read what it said. :)

I need an adapter to use it on a Mac? I have a 15" monitor in my room that I plug into my iBook sometimes and I don't use an adapter.

What is it talking about? I've seen adapters, but I thought those were for old macs/monitors or something.

ALSO!!!!!

What would you buy?
    http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5209161
    OR
    http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5506588

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Cmon, someone here must know! You all mostly have a monitor of some sort. I want to get this ordered!!!!!!!!!

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Dude, chill. This ain't a chat room... sometimes it takes a while for someone to read your post who can actually respond to it.

That said, you MIGHT need an adapter if your Mac uses a DVI output... this monitor clearly uses a standard VGA input, so you MIGHT need a DVI-VGA adapter, which can be had for no more than $20. If you're going to plug this in to the same machine where you're already using your 15" screen, then you probably don't need an adapter.

As to which of these two *I* would buy... the Samsung. Samsung has a zero dead pixels policy which can't be beat. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, you might want to look at Dell's 20" LCD, available for less than $500. Lots more screen real estate.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on which iBook you have and what type of port... VGA or mini VGA

There's probably a dozen different versions of the iBook.

If it has standard VGA you don't need an adapter.

Most of the Mac-VGA to VGA type adapters were for old Macs and/or Apple Monitors from the time prior to 1997 when Apple used a sync-on-green signal (I think). Of course everyone uses the same standard now.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

And even if your iBook has mini-VGA, it should come with an adapter, so no you don't need to buy any adapters.

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

The computer I want it for is an Apple Powermac G4 "Quicksilver". It has a singe 933Mhz CPU. Does anyone know if this needs the adapter? I don't have the computer yet to check it out.

The only reason I asked this was because it said ADAPTER required for use with a Mac.

Thanks.

Dude, I'm sorry. I know this "ain't" and chat room and I was just trying to get a quicker response because I had a deadline to purchase this. Sorry. :)

7. Angrist macrumors 6502

99% Sure that it'll work, get it and try.

If it doesn't, then a mac/vga (old style) adapter is only a couple of bucks on ebay. Worst case you need a DVI/VGA or ADC/VGA -> ~$20

8. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmmm thanks! I'm pretty sure the Quicksilvers didn't have DVI, and I think they had VGA. Thanks again!

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's a Quicksilver with a ADC card with a VGA port...

If it has ADC and VGA, just plug the damn thing into the VGA port.

If you want to get a DVI monitor -- use a ADC-to-DVI adapter.

Or use a ADC-to-VGA adapter for a second VGA monitor.

---

Unless you give specifics of what machine and what ports you have, nobody can really answer the question.

Especially if you changed the card...

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

ADC requires an adapter, but most of the cards with ADC also have DVI ports and came with a DVI to VGA adapter. Long ago, Apple used a different connector than PCs. They've long since switched to DVI and VGA. iBooks, e/iMacs, and some PowerBooks have mini ports than require $20 connectors to displays, but sometimes it comes with it.

What that was probably referring to was older Macs, like Performas and other beige Macs.

11. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes! I think you're correct. When I had a G3 PowerMac, I needed an adapter. I just checked and the port on the Quicksilver looks like a regular VAG port. I know the card was never changed.

12. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

I'm just going to let you know. I have a QS 933Mhz G4 and i have a DVI to VGA adapter running to my monitor. As i recall most QS's shipped with cards that had ADC and DVI—no VGA. Where did you get this computer? i bought mine used mself and it came with the adapter still. Oh, well. Hope that helped.

13. hotnot macrumors newbie

What now?

Ahh.. for the days of plug an play .
    My CRT went out of focus, can't fix it, so I bought what look like a very nice SAMSUNG 21" LCD. It came with two cables, DVI and VGA. The VGA was the only one that fit my G4 Mirrored Drive Doors, but now all of my colors are pastel and everything is too bright. I have tried all the ajustments on the monitor and nothing get close to the rich colors of my old CRT.
    Will I get better color if I buy the adaptor(DVI to ADC) and use the other cable or what should I do? I have 26 of my 30 days left. :confused:

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you tried adjusting the colors from within OS X? I forget what it's called now, used to be ColorSync I think, but check around, there's a way to adjust the screen from within the system. Unless there's something wrong with the VGA port, a DVI adapter may not change anything, but since they're only about $20-$30, it could be worth it.

15. hotnot macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank you
    While I was searching around I found, in the Utilities folder there is a "Display Calibrator" this let me almost adjust everything the way I like it. It put a ICC Profile in Library >ColorSync>Profiles>xxx so this profile must get used every time I start up.
    Everything still seems to be a little pastel would like to get back to the bright colors, any idears?