Monitor adaptor for 24 imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by captainbeefheat, Feb 10, 2007.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Hi guys I'm a little confused I have a couple of Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter laying around which I wanted to use to hook up an old 19 inch crt monitor use screen span with my 24 iMac but it doesn't seem to fit in the back of my imac! Fits the 17 imac downstairs (g5) and my ibook.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's...odd. The mini-DVI adapters fit on all the recent iMacs. Are you sure you're not trying to plug it into the FireWire 800 port? I've seen people try to do that, it's about the same size as the mini-DVI port.

3. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

...double checked that pretty sure I am not trying to put it into the right one (far right), pictures seem to match! But looking at the connections they are slightly different; see attached.

Attached Files:

4. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

...so anyone got any ideas about this seems very odd I can't find anything that says the imac 24 has a different connection but mine clearly does?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have an adaptor that fits into an iMac G5 and an iBook, it's an Apple mini-VGA to VGA adaptor -- not a mini-DVI to VGA adaptor. It works on those two computers because they have mini-VGA ports. It does not work on the 24" iMac C2D because it does not have a mini-VGA port -- it has a mini-DVI port, and needs one of: mini-DVI to DVI, mini-DVI to VGA, or mini-DVI to Video adaptor.

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

If you mean the right hand side of the picture, that is mini-DVI. That's the one you need to insert it into. Also, are you sure that you have a mini-DVI and not mini-VGA adapter? The picture of your connector is too out of focus for me to see what exactly it is.

7. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

ah ok thanks I think that is probably it, thanks.