Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by marKz1, Jul 1, 2005.

1. marKz1 macrumors newbie

Hi there guys,

I recently picked up a Apple 20" cinema display. Though the architecture and color is amazing it lacks a very important thing for me, a vga port. I have two pc's both networked togetherand use a vga kvm switch. I have one for music, and the other for the internet and everything else. The computer for music is much faster with more updated technology including a video card with dvi out. The other pc is not so new and does no have a dvi output. I would like to connect both computers to my cinema display with out losing the high quality of the monitor. Can this be done?

I know the Dell 2005fpw has vga and dvi outs and is made from the same lg screen. How do these monitors match up? Can the dell connect one computer with a vga connection and the other computer with a dvi connection and toggle between them? I know it is about $300.00 cheaper and has a longer warranty so I tempted to return the apple and try the dell. Any advice on this?

Thanks
    Mark

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i'm assuming you got the new apple 20" display with DVI output

in that case you just need a 20 buck adapter which converts DVI to VGA

3. marKz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

About the dell:

My SHARP LCD has both DVI and VGA and I can swap inputs with a touch a button between the VGA (PC) and the DVI (Mac).

Using a KVM switch you're going to have to get a DVI->VGA connector as mentioned about, $20 from Apple Online. For now, so you can use your monitor while you wait, connect the DVI Apple LCD to your DVI PC.

Otherwise, I hate to admit it Dell just represents far better value for money.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The difference between dvi and Vga is very slight in my eyes. DVI just fits things to screen automatically and color management is done on the PC not on the screen. Otherwise there wont be a significant loss of image quality if any.

6. marKz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me see if I got this right. Right now one computer has dvi out the other a vga out. My KVM switch which has only a vga outs and ins. I first would need to convert the signal from one pc with the dvi output to vga and route it into one of the vga ports in the kvm switch. Then I would use the existing vga output from my other computer and route that into the kvm switch as well . I would then use another dvi converter from the kvm switch vga output to connect my apple display dvi input? Do I understand this correctly? And at no point will the picture clarity be altered?

Will this option will give me as good or results as going with a dell that could directly connect to both the computers through dvi and vga with no adpaters?

thanks