Monitor....decisions decisions??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW8725, Sep 23, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Out with the old and in with the new I told myself the other week. I used to have a 24" CRT. 'twas a BIG mutha but awesome for its displaying capabilities. I had a friend lusting after it for an age so I gave in and sold it to him. Now after having reverted back to a 17"er I must say I may have made the wrong decision in selling it.

The 17" is relatively tiny, i've had to even change my icon size! The good thing is i now have massive amounts of space on my table. Infact my whole room feels bigger now. Woohoo! But no woohoo because this monitor is whack.

So I come with open hands and ask the wise owls here. Where to go? What now for me? I have a mac mini so I can't push for the apple 30". That leaves me with:

1. Apple 23" TFT
    2. Dell 24" 2405FPW
    3. Alternative X

Right now I'm favouring the Apple 23" over the Dell purely cos of the brand name. I know the Dell 24" 2405FPW is popular here. Just why is that? Also if there an Alternative X, an up and comming new kid on the block??

Thanks a bunch!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Cost....

You can get the dell for around $1k and the Apple is $1.5k. Also the Dell allows for 2 computers to connect (I have two machines connected to it) and 3 other inputs - compent, svideo and composite. All can be switch on the front panel. Also, you PIP is you want to hook up a tv, etc. It also has a 2 USB ports and built in card readers. All in all a great deal. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of getting another one :D

And the specs for the Dell are better in terms of brighness, etc.

D

3. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Unless you need the color calibration for print work, I think the dell is likely your best choice.

I'll be in the market for 1 or 2 soon. I would prefer to stick to the Apple brand myself, but it is hard to ignore all those inputs and wonderful specs.....

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have two of the Dell monitor's little brothers, the 2005FPW, or whatever it's called. I love them. The displays are very crisp and clean, and they don't look as terrible as they should for a Dell item. I chose them because they were a lot cheaper than Apple's alternatives.

Mr. Anderson gave you all the information you need about the ports and the versatility of this monitor, but I'll add one more thing. I've used the ability to rotate this monitor more than I thought I would. I like the ability to edit and design an 8.5x11 page at larger than full size, or to do the same with a legal sized page.

All in all, GREAT monitor!

5. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

if money is no factor and looks are important to you go with the apple cinema display

if your on a budget go with the dell ive heard great things about dells monitors

6. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Does anyone know who makes the Dell screen. And for that matter the Apple screen?

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

The 24" DELL use a Samsung panel, while the 23" Apple use a LG panel.

Someone please correct me If I'm wrong...

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

9. Sca1pel macrumors regular

until dell comes out with a 30.....im sticking with my two 24s

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Hmmm.. Aluminum or plastic?

Wow that's a tough choice. :D

Good luck on your decision! :)

11. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man cant we put the insides of the Dell into the Apple? :D

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have a CMV CT-726D 17" 16.7 million colour external monitor with speakers.

It costs around as much as a Dell or any other big brand (which are all only 16.2 million colours).

I can't recommend it enough. I do digital art and my monitor is great for this.

You can buy it here

Attached Files:

13. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Choose the Dell...it is the most veristle monitor out there...you dont get the firewire ports, but you do get VGA, DVI-D, Compsite, S-Video, and regular Video inputs for all your devices...you also get 4 USB ports and a 5 in 1 card reader...it is an AMAZING monitor...

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would go with the Apple. The Apples' look nice and are made of metal. Also, I think the frame on the Apple screen is magnetic* (a nice plus for reminders/decorations).
    Is the Dell Widescreen? If not, then it isn't even a close call.
    Does the Dell have the built in Firewire and USB hubs in the back?

*-correct me if I'm wrong

15. geoffreyMB macrumors newbie

DO NOT GET APPLE

the apple 23 inch is ho-hum.

im a photographer. color matters. the 23inch is garbage. the first one i had was washed out on one side. the second one is washed out, and pink on one side blue on the other.

it's not great. the 20 inch is supposeably better. ive seen a couple bad 30 inchs too...but from what i've gathered the 20 and 30 panels are made in taiwan.....the 23 is china.

check out the below discussions.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@534.i2qSaoYk2Fl.1@.68b5a307

http://www.dreamlight.com/insights/bugs/hd23.html

http://discussions.info.apple.com/.68992154/400

let me know what you decide. im pissed off at my monitor, too much trouble to switch it. the store did a direct trade after 2 hours on the phone with apple, but now i think theyll just repair. so itll be gone for two months. piece of $W$#@!!!

GB

16. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

As a user of a Dual 23" Apple display setup I feel I should input my view.

The Apple 23" is an extremely nice monitor. Its major benefits are the Aluminum casing and the sleek sturdy design. The monitor itself does have a very high dot pitch, and is very clear. However, I won't kid you, the 23" Apple has some real problems.

First, it is known to cast a pink hue, something I have dealt with on both of my displays. I even had to send one of my displays in to Apple 4 times until they replaced it with a new product. Even once they did that I can still not calibrate my monitors to be perfect. Second, they only have one plug in, no Svideo, and no multi DVI plugs. Due to this the DVI cable is permanently attached, therefore, if it ever needs replacing it would be extremely expensive. Last, the color contrast across the screen is not accurate. On some parts of the displays contrast is perfect but on the sides it starts to wash out. I don't know how other high end monitors handle this, but it can be annoying if you are dealing with a program such as itunes. This is because itunes has a very minute color difference from one row to the next.

I used to own Viewsonic 17" pro monitors, each one was beautiful as far as the screen, but the casing was a cheap plastic that became very frustrating.

I found that the monitors would constantly wobble, and due to their rotation capabilities they had even more problems. When I started to look into new displays I wanted something that was sturdy and very solid. This is where the Apple monitor really shines. The casing is beautiful but is also very elegant and sturdy. My displays never wobble, and they are constantly perfectly positioned next to each other. Besides this the touch buttons are a great way to control the monitors. The Apple display really had a great feel to it.

Overall, I would have to say that if you are looking specifically for 23" or 24" that you should avoid the Apple if you want great color consistency and don't want a high price. However, if you are flexible, the Apple 20" and 30" are absolutely stunning and still have the benefits of the Apple casing and look.

I hope this helps in your decision.

17. Eastend macrumors 6502

We just bought two of the 24 inch Dells in our office, they were on sale here in Japan a couple of days ago. They were 60 per cent the price of the Apple monitors a real bargain. Read this review, it seems many prefer the Dell over the Apple for good reasons http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html The screen is very good, we also have one of the 20 inch Dells and a 20 inch Apple, they look almost the same, also they have a 23 inch plastic type Apple monitor here, it is very good, but not any better than the Dell.

Brian

18. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

The apple one will expand the ports on your mini. (+2 FW400, +2USB2.0), which IMO, you really need...
    I work on a 17" and I am fine with it, although I probably wouldn't be if I went from 24" to 17"..

19. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woah I had no idea about the colour problems on the 23" Apple monitor! Is Apple addressing this issue I wonder?? Last thing I want is to edit my pics, and my Beloved Manchester United footie top to look pink instead of red! Oh the shame the shame!