Monitor / Display advice ($500 cap)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by -hh, Nov 21, 2005.

1. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Hi all,

My trusty, ancient (1996) Apple 1705 Multiple Scan 17" CRT died, so I'm looking for a replacement.

I know that Apple's 20" LCD would be nice, but $800 is around twice what I'm willing to pay. Afterall, I could replace the 1705 with a generic 17" CRT for less than $100 and not catch any grief from my wife.

So I'm looking for an LCD, either a 17" widescreen or 19" widescreen, with the objective of keeping the total cost down to $500.

Primary application is going to be for Photoshop, so color fidelity and dot pitch is important. Secondary application is DVD viewing, so response time needs some attention too.

Suggestions?

TIA,

-hh

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Look into the Dell 2005FPW 20 inch widescreen. I own one and love it. It goes on sale almost every month. You can find it for as low as $370 sometimes, but $440 is about normal. I won't go into anymore detail, because this monitor has been discussed to death and has been compared to the Apple monitor millions of times.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I can only agree with this. I have one. It's great. Search for more :D

4. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

you could probably get a used apple display acd connection off ebay though....? if he wants to stick with apple!

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Isn't there some backlight issue with that Dell though? Or have they sorted it.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I was recently in the same boat as you. I ended up with with a 2005FPW but you can search that and hear everything you need. If you want a widescreen, I've seen the Apple 17" cinema display go for around $300 here and on ebay but none of those have warranties so caveat emptor. Other than that, I know that new egg sells a 19" Viewsonic widescreen for about $300, not sure of the quality.

7. G5power macrumors 6502

I would agree with the previous posts recommending the Dell LCD. There have been numerous discussions and reviews posted online and they all have rated the Dell monitor very highly.

I am hoping to catch a good deal over the holidays and replace my Apple 15" LCD.

8. mbl42 macrumors 6502a

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

You may want to consider buying my Widescreen 17" HD LCD

10. davidcb13 macrumors member

I agree... I also own one and love it...... The first one dell sent me had a broken backlight which was a pain in the ass but they come with a 3 year warrenty so A new one was sent to me

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sorry to get off track on this, however I had a question and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

If I attach a 24 inch display with a higher resolution than my iMac G5 will it support the resolution?

12. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

It'll only mirror at the same resolution natively.

However I understand the Screen Spanning Doctor (google) will allow you to run a higher resolution on your second screen.

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I know about Screen Spanning Doctor, however was not sure if it would support a 24 inch LCD with a higher resolution. I know I used to span with my PowerBook, however that was on a CRT TV screen.

Thank you for the reply. :)

14. id-sign macrumors member

Dell 2005FPW on sale now for $434!

See link here:
    http://www.geti.com/monitors.htm

(I also posted this in Buying Advice, but put the link here to make sure anyone interested gets in on the savings)

15. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

How does a widescreen TV work as a display? I am considering the Dell 2600W as in EU is 570 eurobucks vs €750 for the Dell 20" monitor with a whopping €5.4 discount (No, it's not a typo :mad: ). I may be willing to overpay for Apple 's products but NOT for Dull's.... They can't convince me that I am getting my $ worth by charging over twice what they are charging in the U.S.

Would the pixel count and the refreshing rate be OK for my video stuff? I don't plan to use it for work but for play - Photoshop, i-View Media and I-Life Apps and perhaps a Playstation 3 next year. Would it be the perfect companion to a soon to arrive Intel Mini?

16. davidcb13 macrumors member

In my opinion no.... most TVs run at very low resolutions compared to what computer monitors run at...

17. Megatron macrumors regular

Just saw this on dealnews, but I have no idea about the quality:

Dealnews.com

But who knows, for $380...

18. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

19. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I second this as well. They are fantastic monitors and if you do have a problem they will promptly send you a new one (I can tell you from experience). Best bang for the buck by far!

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Google/look at the Westinghouse 17" Widescreen LCD. It's really nice. It's the one they have a BestBuy which is connected to the Mac Mini's, so if you have a BestBuy you could check it out there too.

21. davefan6435 macrumors regular

I would definitly recommend the 2005FPW as well, fantastic monitor and you can't beat the price.

22. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It's members only though.

23. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you should read the threads on the dell displays on the forums, you'll very surprised.

24. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

25. cwerdna macrumors 6502

2005FPW is $334 now

It's $334 + tax now. I've got a 2005FPW on my Mac Mini and a 2001FP on my PC. Get it while it lasts!