Monitor drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MickMack, Feb 23, 2007.

1. MickMack macrumors newbie

Hi y'all,

Got a second-hand G3 and want to connect it to a Gateway 17" EV700 monitor, but it ain't happening. I believe I need a Mac-compatible driver in order to fire it up. Any ideas?

Cheers, Mick

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

What kind of connection is it using? If it's using VGA, it might help to restart the computer so it recognizes the display is there.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Is this a blue & white G3 tower? Any monitor with a VGA or DVI connection should be detected automatically—there's no such thing as a monitor "driver."

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

In all these years with all these Macs, I don't think I've ever even heard of "monitor drivers."

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The monitor may be out of frequency range of the last display used with the tower. A simple restart while hooked up should cure that...

6. MickMack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... ...so it's something else...

Thanks for that insight everyone. This monitor works fine with windows which suggests that there is something wrong with this blue and white tower Mac

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, it suggests your eMachines display has some sort of non-standard frequencies, or your B&W G3's video card is dead, or the B&W itself is dead.

There is no such thing as monitor drivers. It either works or it doesn't.

8. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Not sure if you meant in general or only for Macs. But monitors do indeed have drivers, for PCs at least.

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Every monitor i have ever used was a plug and play monitor, so drivers for an individual monitor are not even neccesary.

10. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

The standard settings for Plug and Play really deny you all of the options. Installing the monitor drivers allow you to use every resolution and refresh rate the monitor is capable of.

Refresh rate (especially on CRTs) is the main reason for installing the drivers as a Plug and Play will generally default to some ridiculously low amount, even if the monitor can handle 85+.