Monitor for G4 Sawtooth

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macwild, Jan 24, 2006.

1. macwild macrumors newbie

Newbie here. Running OSX 4.3 on a G4 (Sawtooth - AGP graphics). I have an old Apple monitor that works fine; I want to use that monitor for my pallets when using graphics programs. I need a second monitor to create on. I was told that my old mac would not support one of the newer Apple displays and that I need VGA. Could someone recommend a good VGA flat screen monitor that would work with my old G4? I would like 17" or 19".

Thank you.

macwild

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds more like a video card issue. I've used a Radeon 9000 on a Digital Audio @ 467 Mhz and I ran two DVI 17" Dell LCD's. I had to convert one of the ADC sockets to DVI though. It was a cheap $15 adapter.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Just about ANY VGA compatible display should work with your Mac.

What video card do you have? (you can check by going to About This Macintosh, clicking More Info and then clicking on graphics/displays or something like that). I'm asuming by what you're telling me that you have a dual-display capable card (it has two ports on the back to connect to displays)?

It might be a good idea to consider upgrading your video card to a newer one that can handle a DVI monitor, not to mention having more VRAM. Ebay is awash with decent used Mac video cards.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I am guessing since he/she mentions graphic design, he was looking for a solid monitor for design work.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've used the old trusted 15-pin blue VGA and the spiffy new white DVI cables before on my monitors. I've seen no quality difference between the two.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Again, I think the OP is looking for a make/model of a good VGA monitor NOT what type of connection. There is most definitely a difference in quality when it comes to different VGA (or any type) monitors.

I think I heard once, that Princeton Graphics monitors are targeted toward design professionals.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well I've been lucky with good monitors then. I normally use my dual 17" LCD's at work. (I'm on a 1.25 Ghz MDD now) I have them on DVI inputs and they're great using the Adobe RGB (1998) color profile. I also had a huge 21" Sony Trinitron CRT plugged in using VGA. Great, monitors in my opinion. Then again I've had this Radeon 9000 for ages.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In terms of displays, Those who do graphics design where I work use 23" Sony LCDs, a few ViewSonic 21" CRTs (these are a bit old now), and a couple big Silicon Graphics CRTs.

Many of the newer LCDs are suitable for graphics design, although at the very high end the CRT is still king.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In my opinion it's best to get two identical displays. I tried an external monitor on my iMac and it was a pain even using the same color profiles. I could never get my LCD's to tweak just right.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree, it is best to buy two identical displays.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

[​IMG]

Well here's my work set up. Sorry for the bad lighting.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Whoa, better check your ceiling fixture - I think somebody accidentally installed baseball stadium lighing in there. :p

Do you get a tan after a long day's work?

allright, I'm done being silly.

Are those 19" or 17"? My boss has a similar setup, but we all have to slog away with a single display - though I'm happy with my 20" ACD here. :D

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It was a flash actually. It was either a dim poorly colored picture or an overexposed one. They're dual 17" Dell LCD's. I got a USB 2.0 card for my MDD and a flash card reader. I'm only a technical assitant too. :D

[​IMG]