Monitor for macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theman5725, Sep 3, 2006.

1. theman5725 macrumors 6502

So I switched to mac by buying a new Macbook a month ago. As much as I love it, the small screen and medicore speakers annoy me when I'm just at home (theyre great when traveling with it though). Basically I want a large monitor for my desk so I can use my Macbook like a desktop when I'm at home, and a laptop on the road.

I would buy the Apple 20-inch, but $700 is simply too much for me. I did a little research on other 20 inch monitors but I don't know much about this field so I decided to ask here.

I want a (preferably) 20-inch monitor thats cheaper then the Apple 20-inch monitor.

Will I need to buy speakers if I want to keep my Macbook closed while working? Or are they integrated into the monitor?

Note that I won't be buying this actual monitor for a couple of months but I would like to know what I want so I can put it on my list of things to buy when I get more money (along with a RAM upgrade).

2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

3. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thats a great price for a monitor (even though I dont like dell :/). Somebody has to answer my speakers question however.

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Monitor speakers are never very good - you'd be better off getting your own speakers.

There are lots of deals on LCD monitors now - there's another thread where people are discussing the hanns-g 19" LCDs which aren't much more than $100. Other brand names people like are Samsung and Acer. And Dell of course, but I would never give them my money.

5. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AL2016W-...3/ref=sr_1_4/102-5213977-9631305?ie=UTF8&s=pc

This monitor looks good and the price is great! More questions however:
    I know that the Macbook screen is capable of displaying HD video. I would assume that theese 20 inch LCD monitors can do the same but I would like to make sure.

If in the future I would like to possibly hook up a TV Tuner to my monitor would most monitors work for this, or would I need a special one?

6. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

Somebody tell me if that Acer monitor is good quality for my MacBook please.

7. furious macrumors 65816

furious

be patient someone will answer your question you just need to wait :rolleyes: