Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
im lookin to buy a monitor to cnnect to my macbook..does anyone have suggestions? mainly tho what should i connection options should imake sure the monitor has? thanks for any help? also what are some good places to check out for cases? i looked at some sites but didnt realy find a place that has a good variety.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
the monitor should have a VGA port, and good resolution (at least 1024x768).

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
What are you going to be doing? If you plan to do any photo editing, video editing, or graphics, you might want to go with something 20" or larger, and that has a DVI port. The MB will push up to 1900 X 1200, which means you can get up to a 24" widescreen, or the 23" Apple CD.
Check out Dell- they make decent monitors at reasonable prices (just go for the Ultrta Sharps). LG and Samsung aren't bad either.
Also what is your budget? That will usually determine what size and brand monitor you can afford.

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You'll want to go with a monitor that has a DVI connection. Then you'll want to go pickup a MiniDVI to DVI adaptor for your MacBook. Without this adaptor you can do nothing.

Pickup a 20" widescreen monitor. That way you can have 2 windows side by side. Like 2 web pages, a word document, ichat, iphoto... etc. It's just very convenient to have all that extra room.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
You'll want to go with a monitor that has a DVI connection. Then you'll want to go pickup a MiniDVI to DVI adaptor for your MacBook. Without this adaptor you can do nothing.

Pickup a 20" widescreen monitor. That way you can have 2 windows side by side. Like 2 web pages, a word document, ichat, iphoto... etc. It's just very convenient to have all that extra room.

agreed, you must get the MiniDVI to DVI adaptor...

asaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
What are you going to be doing? If you plan to do any photo editing, video editing, or graphics, you might want to go with something 20" or larger, and that has a DVI port. The MB will push up to 1900 X 1200, which means you can get up to a 24" widescreen, or the 23" Apple CD.
Check out Dell- they make decent monitors at reasonable prices (just go for the Ultrta Sharps). LG and Samsung aren't bad either.
Also what is your budget? That will usually determine what size and brand monitor you can afford.

im not goin to be doing anything serious with it i basically just want it as a luxury and fr convenience. id like to spend no more than $300 because its nothing i NEED really. thanks

asaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006

would i be able to pick this up any where? (best buy circuit city etc) how much do they run? also is this a better option than pluggin in vga?

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
would i be able to pick this up any where? (best buy circuit city etc) how much do they run? also is this a better option than pluggin in vga?

Usually they have this anywhere they sell Macs. They're like $20 USD. You can also get different ones for output to TV or VGA. The VGA one is handy if you already own an extra monitor. But get/use DVI if you can because it's better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.