Monitor/graphics card help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MasonAtom, Sep 3, 2004.

1. MasonAtom macrumors newbie

Just set myself up with a 1.8DP Rev A - am looking for some quidance in picking out a monitor.

Budget $1000 or thereabouts:

Should I go with a large screen (20 to 21.3 inch): Dell 2001FP, Viewsonic VP201B, Samsung 213T

or:

Go with a 19 inch (Samsung 910T/Dell 19 inch/Planar 19inch/Viewsonic VG900B) AND pick up the ATI Radeon R9800 256Mb card?

What I use my computer for:

1) some photoshop, but nothing too demanding
    2) some video editing - usually in iMovie, making 5 to 8 second video clips for my website
    3) occasional gamer - mostly Diablo II/Neverwinter Nights/ES Nova
    4) also use it for running a website, so I usually have Dreamweaver, a text editor, IM, a mysql client all running at the same time - I like to have some space on my screen to maneuver between apps

Should I go with the larger screen and the native card (crappy nVidia), or get a slightly smaller screen and the ATI Radeon?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I would go for the lager screen and "crappy" video.
    With in a year you can probably get nvidia 6800 for the same price as the 9800 costs today.

Beware! Some Samsung monitors require win-only software to adjust brightness and contrast!!!!