Monitor issue: horizontal tear/flicker in random places

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by form, Sep 19, 2004.

1. form macrumors regular

form

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. Out of nowhere, my monitor started doing it today, and I was wondering whether it had anything to do with the graphics card, or the monitor going bad.

I'm hoping it's the gfx card because it only cost me $40. The monitor cost me over $400.

A horizontal flicker/tear at any vertical point in the screen, going from one side all the way to the other, perfectly even, very quick, and about the thickness of a finger (or thinner). It distorts greatly within that tear area, and slightly blurs the picture nearby, very briefly. It doesn't have any positioning pattern, and seems to occur only when it's in the mood.

I am now using my old graphics card, and so far it hasn't happened anymore. However, it was reducing frequency before I exchanged graphics cards, so perhaps I just have to wait longer to see it.

When it happened, it was within the first 5 or so minutes of startup after being powered down for the night. It repeated itself frequently over the course of a few minutes, always in a different place, and very consistent in appearance (always distorted the same way, blurred slightly nearby for short durations)

If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know what you think it is, and any way there might be to remedy it without costing lots of money :(

Thanks,
    form

I completely forgot a few important details: The monitor is a CRT Sony CPD-G420S, and the graphics cards are ati rage 128 pci and radeon 7000 pci. The radeon was the one I was having the issues on. So far, I've been running the old card for about 20 minutes without any issues.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

3. form thread starter macrumors regular

form

That was the very first thing I tried; no effect.

4. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

OK were you using Apple's DVI->VGA Adapter with the new video card?

If so, change up to something like this:
    http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=400637

Just take your monitor cable and compare it to the cable connecting the two ends of Apple's adapter.. the same data is traveling, the only difference is Apple did not do a good job of shielding it.

Not using Apple's adapter? Still sounds like an EMR problem to me, what kind of card is it? Do the resolutions/hz changes make any difference?