monitor-less G3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poshdotty, Oct 23, 2006.

1. poshdotty macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, I was wondering if someone could help. I was given an Apple G3 by a friend as she no longer needed it but it is monitor-less. I already have an iBook G4 but was told I could not use a laptop solely as a monitor (I'm not very clued up with technology). I know this is a really old machine but as it was free, I want to give it a go. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy a cheap monitor that is compatible with this rather ancient computer? It doesn't have to be flat screen or anything whizzy (see - I used the word whizzy. Definitely not good with computers!).

Any help would be welcomed with open arms.

Thank you for looking!!!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you're in the US, you can always check Craigslist, as people are always giving away old CRT monitors or selling them for around $20. The Salvation Army will lots of time have cheap monitors as well. If you're not in the US, check small local shops as they sometimes have really cheap CRT's, or sometimes even eBay will see monitors go for $0.02, with $30 shipping or so.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good advice, try this and see if you have any luck poshdotty. :)

4. poshdotty thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in the UK but thanks for the advice! I'm just wondering if any monitor will work or if it has to have a special socket? :)