Monitor Open Processes in Terminal

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by TIGERmac, Jan 27, 2005.

1. TIGERmac macrumors member

I recently purchased my first Mac (17" iMac 1.8 GHz G5--hasn't arrived yet), and I'm trying to get acquainted to the Mac way of doing things. The Terminal command line really intrigues me, and I'd like to learn how to use it.

I was noticing on this Expose' demo from Ambrosia software a Terminal window that displays the CPU usage as well as the resources consumed by each open process.

Anyone know the command sequence used to get this info?

Any other useful terminal commands would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

In Terminal, type:
    Code:

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or:

Code:
    man top
    for more information on the top command. (man pages are manual pages)

4. TIGERmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses!

Does anyone know of a good web resource or book available to learn more Unix code?

Your responses are appreciated.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

OS X Panther for UNIX Geeks
    Learning UNIX for Mac OS X Panther
    Mac OS X Panther Unleashed

The O'Reilly Mac Dev Center web site has lots of good info and tutorials, as does the Apple Developer Connection site. There are a bunch of other decent resources as well, but those should get you started. For just basic UNIX stuff, you could probably use any standard book on BSD UNIX, though it's better to get a OS X-specific one if you can. When you get serious about it, you can install the developer tools from the Panther CDs (included).