Monitor popping problem.. Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Archmagination, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

Just this last week my monitor started started making static type sounds when starting up.. now its started occasionally making a loud popping sound with the screen darkening and shrinking before expanding back to normal. Right now I am dead broke.. I just don't have the money to pay for repairing or buying a new monitor right now. Maybe in 3 weeks or so I will have enough, but not right now. Does anybody have any idea how long my Apple 17" Studio Display monitor will last? Will it last for a few weeks? Is there anyway to fix it myself?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's exactly what our last Apple CRT did before dying. It's in the trash now. Seriously, most people give CRT's away for free. Ask around.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Your safest best it to try and blast it with a can of compressed air to clean out any dust that might be causeing an arc.. but most likely the monitor is dying and you shouldn't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would say it's time for another monitor...check your local thrift store or something...I've seen them for like $5 at used computer stores. If you have a friend that's good with computers they more than likely have a few spares they could give you. I have like 5 just sitting doing nothing...

Whatever you do, don't open it up. You can get zapped and killed in an instant, no joke. It's dangerous and not worth it at all.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I second that. CRT have a charge built up to kill you if you don't allow it to properly discharge.