monitor problem with a g3 iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mytwinsdad, Dec 12, 2003.

1. mytwinsdad macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get my old DV SE iMac ready to sell and have run into trouble. Before I spend any money on it, a plea for help.

I'll try to be brief. I installed OS X (jag) and the thing was working fine, but I made the mistake of rebooting in OS 9 to get online (my MSN software doesn't work in Classic environment). The monitor came up deep red, and succesive restarts couldn't get the right picture, though sometimes the color was different. None of the control panels does the trick, and I've tried everything else: unplugging, running utilities (First Aid, Norton, Tech Tool Pro), rebooting from discs, restoring OS 9 with a clean install, getting rid of OS X. I finally managed to reinstall OS X and get a reasonable picture -- a little dark, but the color was about right. Then I restarted and got no picture at all. And again, and that's where it stands. I can hear OS X starting up in there, but all is darkness, and the hardware test disc that shipped with my new iMac doesn't work on this machine.

Any ideas?

2. prescottranger macrumors newbie

I had the same problem trying to upgrade my G3-350 Imac. When I tried to install Panther, I got a message that I needed to update my firmware. After re-starting the computer, I can hear the hard drive start up fine in OS 9 but the monitor never turns on. I tried replacing the battery and resetting the PMU but no luck.
    Any help would be great!

3. mytwinsdad thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up coughing up the cash for a repair, and it turned out that it was indeed a firmware problem. How to update firmware when you have no monitor image is a mystery to me -- it didn't occur to me to ask until well after I picked it up, of course -- but that's likely to be the problem. Good luck.