Monitor Problems PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 8thDegreeSavage, Sep 24, 2002.

1. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Hey all....my monitor is acting fairly wierd.

Its a old CRT Apple Studio monitor(17')(from the Blue and white g3 days) VGA connector i think.

Anyway i upgraded my vid card....from a GEFRORCE2MX 32mb to a GEFORCE4 MX 64mb.

So anyway...the resolution does not seem stable...it moves the edges of my screen every few minutes, just a little bit inward..like a distortion...then it returns to its normal state.

Its kind of freakin me out....and i need some advice as to what i could be. And /Or what i can do to fix it...

Thanks for any help at all

System

QS867
    768 ram
    40GB HD
    Geforce4mx(for reference)

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Well, if this is the symptom I've experienced, it means death is coming to your flyback transformer thingy. If not, it may be a degaussing problem.

There's some sort of voltage capicitor/flyback transformer which charges the tube in some way, and often before they fail, they'll exhibit this sort of behavior.

I would surmise that you monitor's days are numbered, but I've only experienced this on older, non-Apple beige monitors, so I would invite someone who knows more to comment.

3. {1984} macrumors member

i bet your monitor is just dying... maybe you should look into buying a new lcd...?:confused:

4. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

Iwish i could afford a new monitor:(

Anyone know of cheap deas on them?

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I've had the exact same thing happen on my iMac DV+... for a year and a half, ever since I got it. It's not dying yet, I don't think.

6. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool to hear your still living.....i just need time to gather cash for a new monitor.

Maybe it has something to do with the resoulution or something...maybe the refresh or something....i dunno much about hardware.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Double-check the refresh rate. The new vid card might be putting out too strong of a signal for the monitor.

Use the recommended refresh rates for your monitor if you don't know what it's capacities are.

8. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

cool..ty for advice..im using a 75mhz refresh with 1280x1024 resolution.

it seems to get worse when i switched the cards....dunno though maybe its just me...but it seemed worse...is there any settling process when upgrading cards?

9. big macrumors 65816

big

don't know about settling process personally....I have a problem myself with an upgrade card

certain OS9 apps (runnung in classic) are all screwy when launched, due to (what I think) is my new 7000 card (ATI).

Maybe I'm missing firmware for it or something, this card in particular just doesnt seem to be as plug & play as one would think...

I've had to do a lot of fussing with it sense the begining.

10. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i have not had the problem ina few days....maybe it WAS jsut the card settling...dunno...seems stabel now though. Anyone suggest using compressed air to clean out the monitor insides?....or is that a little extra?

11. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

I was the refresh rate....Iv'e seen it hundreds of times (literally).