Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
I'm thinking of getting a monitor for my MacBook (early 2015, 1.3GHZ, M), and I'm looking at the LG 27UD68; it's on sale right now at Amazon/B&H for $349, (https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD68-P-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01CH9ZTI4), which is a great deal. I don't think the price will go down any lower in the near future. I'd prefer to get the 27UD88 version, but it's too pricey.

Does anyone have their MacBook attached to this monitor? What do you think of it? Would I need to buy a dongle in order for the MacBook to connect to the monitor?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I picked up the UD2788 a few days ago, and am using it with the 2016 MacBook, via USB-C. For the '68 model, you'll have to use a USB-C to Displayport cable or try to find a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 that will work.

The '88 model has a few more features, including a pre-calibrated panel, as well as charging and USB 2.0 hub functionality for the MacBook via the USB-C connection. Yes, it's a bit more ($649 incl tax via Fry's), but I plan on keeping it a while.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm thinking of getting a monitor for my MacBook (early 2015, 1.3GHZ, M), and I'm looking at the LG 27UD68; it's on sale right now at Amazon/B&H for $349, (https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD68-P-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01CH9ZTI4), which is a great deal. I don't think the price will go down any lower in the near future. I'd prefer to get the 27UD88 version, but it's too pricey.

Does anyone have their MacBook attached to this monitor? What do you think of it? Would I need to buy a dongle in order for the MacBook to connect to the monitor?

I picked up the UD2788 a few days ago, and am using it with the 2016 MacBook, via USB-C. For the '68 model, you'll have to use a USB-C to Displayport cable or try to find a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 that will work.

The '88 model has a few more features, including a pre-calibrated panel, as well as charging and USB 2.0 hub functionality for the MacBook via the USB-C connection. Yes, it's a bit more ($649 incl tax via Fry's), but I plan on keeping it a while.

Hi, to the both of you, would you be so kind to share your user experience of the MacBook? What kind of use do you subject the little fella to? Do either of you use Adobe InDesign by any chance? I am sorry for apparently highjacking a thread, but if you'd be so kind to post your user experiences in the threads:

Just Got One & I Love It!
So how have they performed in the wild??
Macbook 2016 M5 vs MBP Late i5 2013 vs MBP 2016 i5 non touch bar - Worth it?
Is the Macbook enough?

Appreciate your time and efforts to do this. Thank you both!

Reactions: pedregosa

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I picked up my UD68 panel from Best Buy (did a price match with BH @ 349), and absolutely adore it. Sure you need a USB-C to HDMI/DP, the panel looks superb. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Pro Tip 1: Do the hack to get your '15 MacBook to drive at 60Hz. You'll see a huge difference in the monitor experience.

Pro Tip 2: Get a mouse. The 4K affords you so many pixels, trying to use a magic trackpad simply wasn't cutting it.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Pro Tip 1: Do the hack to get your '15 MacBook to drive at 60Hz. You'll see a huge difference in the monitor experience.

With the UD88 version, using USB-C from either '15 or '16 MacBook, you don't need a hack to run 4K @ 60Hz.

blesss

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
I picked up my UD68 panel from Best Buy (did a price match with BH @ 349), and absolutely adore it. Sure you need a USB-C to HDMI/DP, the panel looks superb. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Pro Tip 2: Get a mouse. The 4K affords you so many pixels, trying to use a magic trackpad simply wasn't cutting it.

how does this work..? does the usc-c to hdmi/dp cable also charge? if not, you can't charge your laptop while hooked up to the monitor? or do you have a dock that you connect usb-c to first and the connection to the monitor from there? cheers

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
how does this work..? does the usc-c to hdmi/dp cable also charge? if not, you can't charge your laptop while hooked up to the monitor? or do you have a dock that you connect usb-c to first and the connection to the monitor from there? cheers

I just use the AV HDMI USB-C adapter Apple is currently selling for $49. HooToo sells a better one with more ports on Amazon for 69.99. I get a USB-A, USB-c (to charge), and HDMI out.

The monitor comes with an HDMI-HDMI and a DP-DP cable.

blesss

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
I just use the AV HDMI USB-C adapter Apple is currently selling for $49. HooToo sells a better one with more ports on Amazon for 69.99. I get a USB-A, USB-c (to charge), and HDMI out.

okay, but you mentioned a "usb-c to hdmi/dp" cable in your first post i quoted. unless i'm missing something, this takes up the USB-C port on the adaptor, in order to connect to the monitor. so how do you simultaneously charge?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

Neither the Apple adaptor, nor the HooToo one supports 4K @ 60Hz via HDMI.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Neither the Apple adaptor, nor the HooToo one supports 4K @ 60Hz via HDMI.

I dont run it at 60Hz
[doublepost=1480359345][/doublepost]
okay, but you mentioned a "usb-c to hdmi/dp" cable in your first post i quoted. unless i'm missing something, this takes up the USB-C port on the adaptor, in order to connect to the monitor. so how do you simultaneously charge?

The AV HDMI adapter has USB-C to USB-C, HDMI out, and USB-A

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I picked this specific monitor model from BestBuy as well. I am using it with my rMBP 15 late 2013 via display port. According to the system report, I am getting 60hz in all resolution including at 4k. I have 2016 m5 rMB, but I have not yet tried it with the monitor. I have no adapter to convert USB-C to DP or HDMI. I don't plan to use it on rMB that is the reason I didn't buy adaptor. But, what I can say is: the display is beautiful. It is as good as my iMac 27 5k. I am glad I picked this up at sale's price $330.

phalex

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018

Hi I just got this monitor and have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 inch. How do I do the hack?

dannydropshadow

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019

I have a 68 and tried both DP and HDMI with USB-C Dongles and can't seem to find the display. Are the dongles causing the disruption? Would a single DP to USB-C cable do the trick?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I have a 68 and tried both DP and HDMI with USB-C Dongles and can't seem to find the display. Are the dongles causing the disruption? Would a single DP to USB-C cable do the trick?
Sorry can’t help. I only had the ‘88, and I ended up taking it back about 2.5 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.