Monitor question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lizard King, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Lizard King macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2003
    Is there any REAL benefit from an "all digital" LCD, ala Apple. You can pick up the Nec 1760V for a lot less but it has the dreaded (and quite old fashioned) "analog" input. I'm not a photoshop professional or anything, just mundane tasks for me. The only reason I'm considering PM G5 is to get a computer that will last as long as possible before going obsolete.

2. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    You will notice the difference between analog and digital. With analog, the image is not as sharp, etc. Whether its worth the money you can save is up to you. In my opinion, (almost) any modern LCD is still better than a CRT, but there are many others that I'm sure could tell you more than I have.....
  3. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    the trinitron CRTs (apple graphite) we're the tightest monitors I've seen. analog LCDs are blurry and low cost version will have many dead or stuck's LCDs are pretty dang nice. formac also makes nice digital LCDs. formac

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Don't get an LCD with only an analog input. It's not great quality. I bought a 15" NEC LCD for my mom's old iMac, and made sure to get one that had both analog and digital inputs, even though we only use the analog one now. Comparing her analog input from the iMac to the digital signal from my Power Mac, the difference is huge. When connected through analog, the image is quite fuzzy. It is crystal clear sharp when connected through digital. Don't get a nice screen that is crippled with analog only inputs.
  5. zagato27 macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    The Hill
    Re: Monitor question

Bought a G5 and made sure that I got a good LCD monitor that had DVI and analog. Believe it or not the Dell 1901 FP is awesome! DVI, 19" of real estate, slim bezel, handsome, and the price was oh so right.....$525 to my door from the Dell Small Business site. Did I mention that it has 5 USB 2.0 ports? Sweeeeeeeet. Do a search and you'll see glowing reviews of this monitor. Cheers