Monitor Refreshing?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chucksmac, Dec 3, 2004.

1. chucksmac macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2004
    I just moved up from a 15 Samsung to a 17" dell lcd(second screen, next to my 23 apple display), because it was free. I have noticed about every 15-25 minutes the screens fade for a about a second almost like it is refreshing or something. Has anyone encountered this problem when running two screens? I didn't have the problem when the 15" was hooked up, but then again the 15" was running at 1024x768 and the 17 runs at 1280x1024. Could this be the video card just huffing a puffing a bit?

G5, 2.5, 128ati 9600 xt, 2.5 gig ram.

Also this is not a dvi lcd, I had to use a convertor. In my preferences it shows up as a CRT. Is this right?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Your video card isn't the problem - it's plenty capable of driving those two displays. As far as the non-DVI LCD showing up as a CRT, this is normal on Mac OS, since analog LCDs (typically, LCDs that connect via VGA) aren't normally used with Macs, and the Mac OS simply isn't aware of them, so it assumes that all VGA monitors are CRTs. I believe what is happening is that the Mac OS is getting confused by the analog LCD and is treating it as if it was a CRT - meaning that it's picking a refresh rate that doesn't make any sense. That in turn causes the Mac OS to refresh it as if it was a CRT, and synchronize the change to the other display, which causes the flickering you mention. I have no idea how to solve this directly, though.
  3. austink macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2004
    It wouldn't be the graphics card nor a refresh rate issue if it is only every 15 to 25 minutes. I would check the power settings on the display directly. Also did your 15" use that same converter? If it did it might just be a display issue with the dell monitor.
  4. chucksmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah it used the same covertor. I call Applecare and they said it might be a fan cutting on or something drawing some power. They said it's nothing to worry about...probably. It's not a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure.