Monitor shopping!

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Oct 13, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Okay, my 15" Sony HMD-A100 is going kaput so I'm in the market for a new one as you can probably imagine.
    I reeeeeaaaaaallllllllly liked the Sony's design (that's one reason why I bought it ;)) so I'd like to for for something similar. (a bit bigger perhaps?)
    I like Sony's HMD series cuz they're easy to configure, have that nice little 4-port USB hub and have that beautiful flat Trinitron screen. (I'll stand by those flat Trinitron's until the day I die)
    My limit's about $150 so I can't get a halfway decent one brand new so I'm going eBaying and I found a few that I liked:

[​IMG]

I found this 19" Sony/Sun but I'm afraid that it may be a bit too big for my desk, plus it may be over $150 when the auction ends.:(

[​IMG]

That one's my favorite.
    I've seen it in person before and I luvd the design and I thought that the screen wasn't half bad either.
    I'm a sucker for a pretty monitor.;)

So if anybody has any recommendations, I'll be glad to hear them, but remember that my limit's $150 so I'm not going to get a real high quality monitor, but hopefully good enough to last me for awhile.:)

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that second one is heinous...... just look waaaay too deep

first one looks aiight....

what about just a 17"? rather than 19... then you will probably have a better shot at keeping it lower. plus, 17" from 15" will still be an upgrade...

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Actually I've seen the Sony in peron and it's not that deep.
    I just posted the 19" Sun cuz it was within my price range at the time of the auction, it'll probably be over by the time it ends, but I can dream.;)
    I really don't need anything more than 17", but I'm not opposed to something bigger.:)

4. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I found another one.
    It's a viewsonic with that yimmy trinitron screen.
    It's a bit more than I was willing to pay, but if it's better than that Sony, then I may consider it.:)
    [​IMG]

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm, which one seems the best quality and best specs in your oppinion?

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have the apple CRT 17 inch studio display . I did that in red because... well.... Idon't know... I did it for reasons unknown to me.

Anyways, I really love this monitor, and I saw one on dealmac.com for $75.00 the other day. They are PC compatible I think, but I am not sure.... Check out www.dealmac.com, they will make your shopping a LOT easier.

7. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I'm a sucker for that Sony, but that Viewsonic I can buy brand new, although it does only have a refresh rate of 68Hz @1280x1024, but I did have my current one @ 60Hz and I didn't mind.

scem0, thanx for the suggestion, but the Apple display is only vertically flat and once you go flat, you never go back.;)

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Last call............

I'm leaning towards the Viewsonic and I might buy it in a couple of days unless anybody else has some suggestions.:)

9. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Too late

Alright, I caved and went for the Viewsonic and it's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!:D
    And it's huge!:eek:
    But keep in mind that I'm comparing it to a 15";)

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Careful of old workstation monitors

I'm not sure how old that Sun monitor is, but it might only have a 13W3 input (no HD15), and it might only be able to handle a sync-on-green signal. Older monitors also sacrifice some things we've become accustomed to, like nice fancy digital controls and white-balance adjustment and so on. They're also more likely to fail due to their age. (Speaking as the owner of a 20" SGI-badged Sony GDM-20D11 monitor ca. 1994.)