monitoring phone calls

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Oct 25, 2004.

1. indifference macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Do companies monitor phone calls? Like cell phone companies, like t-mobile?
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    i would think they have a policy to do so if they suspect you are using the phone for say extreme personal use
  3. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    in most states i believe you must notify both parties in a conversation if the call is being monitored. unless of course the gov is monitoring the call (like a police tap or something) then the rules usually apply to things like warents so they must be assigned by a judge. as for a company listening to a call is very unlikely. it would be a waste of their time and thus money. unelss you work for the company. if you work for t-mobile they might monitor your calls to make sure you are not using them for 'personal' reasons and only for company business. but if you are paying for your personal phone the company would get in trouble if they were monitoring your call (unless of course somewhere in t-mobile fine print in the contract you signed it said any call can be monitored at any time) but ive never heard of that!
  4. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    This seems to be a very specific question. Are you concerned that t-mobile may have monitored one of your calls? ;)

Unless you are on the run from the law, it's highly unlikely. Not to say that cell phone conversations are secure - they are susceptible to ease-dropping, but corporations are not going to monitor and store cell phone conversations for the sake of having those records.

The government, yes. Corporations, no.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The US government (and many others) can monitor any call (Google "Echelon"), and does monitor many of them, listening for key words. But it's automated, and it's unlikely that anyone will listen to or care about your cell phone calls. However, mention things that are potential terrorist key words, and the computers might route your calls to someone who would pay attention to them. Maybe.
  6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Don't say this: ;)
    Man, that movie about President Bush sure stunk. I hope it bombs horribly, right before inauguration
  7. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i know the government will listen into certain peoples calls, it is probably how a lot of imformation is gathered for the armys around the world. i dont think the companies will be legitimatly able to listen to your calls. they may monitor usage and numbers called but i dont htink it will be anythin more than that.

near where i live there is a us army base with loads of dishes which are apparantly used for listening to phone calls all over europe. but i only think they can listen to people who they have a reason to listen in on. their would be uproar from the civil liberties groups if they listened to just anyone.
  8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Well, there IS an uproar from civil liberties groups over the Patriot Act, but it doesn't seem to have helped, has it? (Political Forum, here we come! :p )

I'm not sure how many states require only one party to be aware of phone call monitoring, but I live in Ohio and I know that's the rule here.
  9. Toe macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    What's really important is what gets backed up. Once it is backed up, it can be monitored at any point in the future.

Think about how cheap hard drives are for consumers. For corporations and governments, they are practically free. They can back up TB after TB of data at relatively very little expense.

Also think about how tenuous laws are. What's illegal now, could be legal later. Reviewing the backups of your phone conversations may be legal later, even if it is not now (which apparently is already gray area).

I really don't know what gets backed up, but I would guess that at least voicemail does. And if they want to, they could back up every word of every conversation for all time. It really wouldn't cost that much.

Paranoid yet? :cool:
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    No, not really.

If they want to listen in on my conversations, then go ahead. I don't mind if the Canadian (or Australian) government I just hope that other countries don't monitor my calls here in Australia, or in Canada. My government monitors my calls....fair enough. Let them. If other countries are monitoring my calls, I don't like that. Don't ask me why. It doesn't seem logical, but that's just the way I feel.
  11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Except that if you want to keep something for long-term storage, tapes are hella-better than hard drives.