Monitors and more monitors...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by appletothecore, Feb 15, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2008
    I finally got my system rounded up and my octo 2.8 is unboxed. I had the good fortune of getting a crazy good deal on two 30" ACD monitors. I am hesitant to unbox both, because while I can fit them on my workspace, I am worried its going to be too much screen after a while.

I want two screens. I am going to be doing primarily Photoshop and Final Cut Studio work. Should I sell one of the 30 inchers and get a less expensive smaller screen that can be dedicated to email, and apps that dont require real estate, or am I stupid to get rid of one?

I know it's a good problem to have. If anyone can recommend a better alternative to this set up let me know.

Thank you much in advance. This forum got me through the wait for the 8800 :)
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    If you have them (and so can afford them) I can't possibly imagine any reason to get rid of one. Keep them!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    I'll take one off your hands if you want, I'll pay postage too!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2007
    Jees thats A LOT of resolution for what you require? IMHO you should just try 1 for the time been and setup spaces for your email etc. My spaces is set to the centre mouse button so i can flick between spaces very quickly and I dont have to turn my head in the process :)

So, just open and use one, see how you get on, then sell the other (at a profit if you got them at a good price)
  5. macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2006
    I was debating on 2 x 24" but I got 1 x 26" instead. I'm going to rely on Spaces for other apps on full screen instead of resized or whatever across 2 screens. And I'll be helping the planet by consuming less energy! :cool:
  6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    I have a 30 inch screen in front of me and a 24 inch screen on the side. I love the size of the 30 and the extra screen. I am running Windows (through Parallels) on the second screen. It makes it easy to go back / forth.
  7. macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2007
    I find the 30" too big for everyday use (internet / 10 windows open at the same time) but 2 x 24" is pretty good.

It really depends on what you do.
  8. macrumors demi-god

Feb 15, 2008
    Fairfield County, CT
    I have 2 ACD 30's and was going to go with 2 24's but that extra real estate is good when you are doing print work and want to view the image w/o zooming in with scroll bars left and right. Also really good for when doing image editing after a shoot, also great for video editing.

I do admit, it might be OVERWHELMING for some, if they are coming from say 20" monitor or even a 24", but you'll get use to it and appreciate it, especially if you run duals. <3
  9. macrumors 68040

Sep 15, 2006
    New York City, NY
    I'm using a 30" monitor now and if I had the desk real estate and could afford it, I'd love to have another 30". I hate overlapping windows... I say keep both of them and enjoy it!