Monitors as TVs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by simontarr, Oct 13, 2006.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I'm in the market for a new TV in the coming weeks as mine really is going to die any time soon (only spending about £400 though) but I was wondering if the 23" ACD could be used as a TV.

If that's possible, I would rather see if I can wait even longer so save up the extra few hundred quid- then I'll have LOADS more screen real estate as well as a TV.

What would the solutions be to enable me to turn it into a TV? I suppose I could use things like the EyeTV, but I was hoping you could just hook up a TV feed via component or something.

I was just wondering what you guys do. On my old laptop, TV looked rubbish because it was going through a monitor and not a dedicated 'TV Screen' and I'm wondering if the ACD will do the same due to its HD resolution (and me not having a HD source)

Thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

EyeTV through your Mac is the really the only way to do it. The ACDs only have the single DVI connector to allow you to hook it up to your computer.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Does it really need to be an Apple monitor? Plenty of other brands include more than 1 input, some even include TV tuners. The Dell 24" or 30" include a heap of inputs and could be worth a look?

Personally I have 2 HDTVs here and on my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo I use an EyeTV DTT Stick all look great _BUT_ the TVs do look a bit better for DVB-T digital SD/HDTV.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Too bad the only input worth anything on the Dell is the VGA.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah I guess when the OP mentioned using component and the Dells have component (and HDMI on the 30") it is probably worthless to him. Thanks for your pointless post though! :rolleyes:

6. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I was looking at the Dells online today for a friend. Does anyone know if you can watch tv on the Dells (Or any monitor recommendation) w/out a tuner? A friend of mine is looking to get a monitor to use as a tv and as a computer monitor, without having to use a tuner (he is pc....it's sad, I know).

So does anyone know a good 20" -24" lcd tv/monitor?

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If the monitor doesn't have a tuner built in you will need a cable or HD set top box (etc).

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Apparently you can't read.

The component looks like garbage. The gradient banding i evident only with the DVI. The VGA is really the only input that is useful on the Dell.

I am not speaking out of my arse either, I owned it and found out for myself. Despite the oodles of threads out there that warned me.

Thanks for your pointless rebuttal. :D

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm not about to hijack this thread from the OP but do you actually want to provide some links to your "information", instead of telling me I can't read (even though there is nothing on this page to read about "your issue"). I've never bothered buying a Dell monitor myself but there have been plenty of people on this forum who have been happy with them.

Post your links. I'll remove myself from this thread before I get in to same flame war with you, and the OP can make their own mind up.

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Uh.. I have a 2407wfp and I only use the DVI connection and it looks great?

You probably had an earlier revision. Mine's an A03 and is perfect!

11. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

This I know- but the monitor still needs either component or some form of input that works with a tv signal, so that is what I am looking for- a monitor that has those inputs (many of them don't).

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The 24" Dell has component.

13. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

I believe there are component to DVI convertors but they are very expensive (about $300). HD set top boxes with DVI will not work directly with the ACD either because it does not support HDCP. Your best bet is to get a Dell display or an EyeTV solution.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah it's called shopping around ;). If your friend wants to watch TV on a monitor but doesn't want to have to buy an external tuner or use 1 from a PC/Mac well you need to buy a display with a tuner built in. The Samsung SyncMaster 940mw has DVI, VGA, component, scart, s-video, composite, RF inputs and it also includes an analog TV tuner that could do what they want?

So yeah shop around.

I notice you edited your original question, and now it's a completely different question. ;)

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Problem is not fixed with A03 according to some. I had an A02 (where is was supposedly fixed) and it was there still. They wouldnt let me exchange for that issue since they claimed to have fixed it with A02. Not to mention I would have had to get lucky to get one.

risc: see this thread for user experiences with the Dell. I hooked up a 360 to the component input and it looked like garbage. Dark, washed out, choppy, etc.
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1064124

The only way it looked good was with the VGA.

I notice a lot of people around push the Dell(which is fine btw) but they always claim "it has more inputs than Apple's!" yeah, too bad those inputs are poorly implemented. You really think Dell didn't have to cut corners to get those inputs in there? I find it a problem that Dell would claim to have fixed an issue, and really had not.

I am in no way against the Dell. I feel that people should be properly informed however. The Dell is great for people who don't need what the Apple offers.

Heck I got my g/f a Dell for her Mini because she doesnt need an Apple display for her uses.

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Thanks for the link, like I said though I already own 2 HDTVs and use an EyeTV with 1 of the Macs here. I'm not in the market for a Dell and I'm not about to wade through the 27 pages of that link, I'll let the OP do that.

The Dell was only a suggestion there are plenty of other displays out there that include multiple inputs like the 940mw I talk about above.

So OP what you want can be done just not with the ACD, so shop around and see what you think.

17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

But you're hardly giving informed advice based on your and a few others' from Hard Forums (and yes, I know the thread you're speaking of, because I read it quite a bit before making my buy). I know Dell claimed that A02 fixed the problems, and many disagreed, but A03, with the exception of some, has fixed it - and many on that forum say so, as well.

Based on your logic, no one should buy a MB, either, because these forums were once full of MB problems and complaints.

I agree that the OP should know about some of these problems, but he should also know that these problems have widely been fixed. Your claim that VGA is the only good input is entirely misleading.

18. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

There was no editing of my original question at all. I would say that
    and
    are pretty much the same question.

You suggest the Samsung- that's what I am looking for, a suggestion. Obviously I know how to "shop around"- what I am looking for here are suggestions from people that have these things.

:)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have not looked back since getting rid of my tube TV and buying a Dell 2005FPW (now 2007FPW) display and an EyeTV. For the same price as a good 15-17" LCD TV I got a 20" instead and I could not be happier. Pausing/rewinding TV is a godsend. I can skip out adverts when not watching the godly BBC channels, I can pause to go to the toilet. and recording.

cannot fault it.

the reverse telecine (I assume it is) technique to get a progressive picture from over the air broadcasts is excellent. 575p for regular FreeView TV. love it.