Monitors for PowerMacs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SilvorX, Sep 22, 2002.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Im currently pricing out monitors for the powermac im hopefully getting, i was just wondering:
    do monitors that arent mac compatible actually work on macs? or just monitors that are pc/mac compatible (and just mac compatible) work with with powermacs?
    thanx

2. Jbear macrumors member

Im not sure, but I have hooked up 4 or 5 different monitors to my powermac when I take it to work once in a while. I have not had a single on NOT work. Most of them were sony monitors, a 15in trinitron E-something, a 17in trinitron with the Dell logo on the front (sony), a 17in Sony HMD A-200, and a couple of old 15in Panasonics. All seem to work fine without fuss.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

A monitor is a monitor is a monitor. If it has the proper cable to connect to your computer it will work. Now the quality of it and the available resolutions are a question mark.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not always....I know of Sun monitors that ONLY work on Sun kit due to them being "fixed rate" or something like that.

5. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

so basically if i use my panasonic vga monitor (temporarly) for a powermac, it'dd work?

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

That seems to be the gist of this thread. :D

My Sony CPD-G500 works fine on a PowerMac 933 (not mine:( ) Mac OS X even recognizes the make and model of the monitor.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I've ran fixed rate before you just have to know what frequency it runs at and set your mac to that frequency (somehow) before hooking it up.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have seen some problems with some Sonys and other monitors with OSX. This mainly seems to be a problem with unsupported resolutions and can sometimes be fixed with a unsuported hack.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

mmmmm...."somehow"...that's the bit that poses the problem.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I was able to do it on the monitor I was using by hooking it up and with the screen flickering past at a million mile/hour fumbling my way into the monitors control panel and changing the resolution. This took me about an hour. Not the answer you wanted I'm sure. You need to find a monitor to borrow from someone or take the computer down to a computer store and change the resolution setting.

11. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm sounds good, but it just makes me feel a lil weird cuz on some stuff it says "only pc compatible" or whatever, but it works, woo hoo, i'll probably have to stick with this monitor *maybe* when i get my new puter....unless i get the monitor that day 2...

this is kind of off topic...but would a normal dvd rom drive work on a powermac? and how would i format a normal peecee hard drive so its mac compatible?

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Since ur in canada... i cant rele tell u any US promotions that could be happening. BUT a CRT would be ur best bet if you wanna have a large, fairly cheap monitor. I suggest a 19 inch (18 viewable) CRT which will run you about 200 us. Fairly well priced saying that most 18 inch flat panels cost upwards of a few hundred to maybe up into the thousands of dollars for a decent one.

13. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

http://www.compusmart.com/product.asp?CatalogID=160&StyleID=242003&
    or
    http://www.compusmart.com/product.a...chString=19"&ShowPriceFlag=1&PriceFilter=400&
    thats what im thinking of getting if i dont get a flatscreen but it says no for mac compatible :(

14. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

doesnt matter... dvi has not predujedice against macs. the only thing i ont suggest is a pc maker branded monitor! :rolleyes:

15. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol so basically NO HPee/compcrap/IBM monitors lol...

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yep not like ud use em anyways...

IBM maybe, but those are rele expensive flat panels

17. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hopefully a crt i get is compatible with the mac...

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

DVD roms are a different matter because they require certain drivers to operate properly. Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com for a really good compatibility database for all drives.

19. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i tried looking n no luck finding anything...

hmm if anyone knows...
    would an LG 16x DVD-rom drive work fine on a powermac, and a Fujitsu hard drive work fine? and if not where would i get special drivers for it since i tried xlr8yourmac.com and couldnt find anything on it :(

20. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Actually, down at work we're using a Gateway (ugh.) monitor on one of our 933s for lack of a better display. The Cinema Display is on another machine and our 17" Studios are being used. Oh well...

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

]

If www.xlr8yourmac.com doesn't have reader tests on it there probably isn't drivers for it.

22. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm guess normal screens can be used...concidering an 867 powermac (dual) with a crt screen would cost 3 grand canadian, and my original computer only costed bout $1500 (cruddy pee cee)...and this included monitor, scanner, printer..*sigh* lol...but if i get a powermac at the right time, hopefully something free will be included ;) lol

23. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yea but since ur canada, u most likely wont get the free stuff :mad: .

24. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i know :(, but pc stores/online resellers in canada sometimes add on freebies, i remember macwarehouse.ca including 128 mb of ram free a few weeks ago and theyre basically the only place in canada that gives out anything free for a mac :(

25. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I believe this happens for two reasons:

1. The canadian dallor needs more currency to keep up w/ the US dollar, so things are more expensive, thus making freebies a little harder to do, especially if its an american company funding the operation

AND

2. It cost much more to ship internationally, so any US company will just exclude u because it just costs too much to ship a freebie to u.