Monkey Ball : Banana Blitz - Review

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 14, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wasn't too much a fan of this on the Cube or DS. But that controller might swing it for me. Have to play a demo first I reckon.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Shame we wont be able to download wii demo's due to storage issues (i'm assuming we wont anyway), its a great asset on the 360 and soon PS3, save's you spending $ on somthing that turns out to be a turkey, or a game that you think you wouldnt like turns out to be cool...

I enjoyed the cube version, the first was really somthing different. Second improved on the formula but I felt it kind of pushed the concept as far as it could go. The adventure game one was a real turkey, so wasnt really interested in this one, but the review is promising and has sparked a bit of interest again...

4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

electronic gaming monthly only gave it a 6. i was a little
    disappointed since i was considering getting it at launch. this
    review helped sway me back to just getting it. good multiplayer
    for when wii sports and excite truck get boring.

5. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Nice to see it got a good review, this is one of the games I'm considering getting at launch. I had put it on my list over Raving Rabbids as that game is only minigames, whereas Monkey Ball has a single player mode and minigames. I would be interested in hearing people's opinion on that, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

I'm still not quite sure on the controls for Monkey Ball. IGN says "it's as simple as gesturing forward and backward," does this mean you have to constantly make a forward and backward motion, as if you were rolling a ball on the floor? I would think that would get tiring after awhile.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought part of the mentioned features of Wii Connect 24 was the ability to download demos? Just because games can fill 9gb now doesn't mean a demo will. a demo of Monkey Ball? It's so basic with low quality/resolution graphics that it would be teeny tiny to download. 100mb? Guess thats where the SD slot comes in handy!

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well a 360 demo is often around 1gb. Remeber a demo even though its 1 level. still has to have the hard work because the engine has to be fully included. A 360 HDD soon fills under the weight of the downloads...

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I believe that the controller acts as a sort of proxy for the level itself. So, when you tilt it forward, the arena tilts forward and the monkey rolls. When you tilt it back and forth or side to side, the level mimicks those motions as well.

9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ah, that makes a lot more sense

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I believe only 1 guy gave it a 6 and that was because it was difficult, which is a lame ass excuse. I mean, all the monkey balls were pretty damn hard.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

By the way, you've gained like 10 million cool points by virtue of the quote in your signature.

"It's only dishwasher liquid, you over-inflated gasbag."
    "...uh-huh. And the knowledge crystals?"
    "'Uh huh. And the knowledge cryst-...?' - aquarium gravel."