monolingual help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by orijinal, Aug 6, 2006.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

i'm planning on only reading english and using english with my powerbook, so i'm planning on delocalizing everything but English... but could someone explain what the "U.S. English" for languages is? is it safe to remove this too?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Leave all English derivatives on the machine. US English is specific to the US (obviously), but some third party apps require it to still be in some Apple software so things can get messy if you remove it. :)

3. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

A quick question. Short of reinstalling OSX is there a way to reinstall a language(s) if later found to be required for a particular software or WebPage, etc?

Bill.....

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, but I'm almost certain the system would have to be reinstalled since these language files are inherent in so many different aspects. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if not then you could try the Archive & Install feature to minimise disruption to your data. :)

7. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

does this mean my chinese text converter in some applications won't work anymore? i wonder if there is a way to remove this command from applications?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good question. I'm not sure whether it'd break the ChineseTextConverter. I'm pretty sure this service (along with some others) can be removed by deleting it from the Services folder in your System's Library. Of course, you should restart afterwards since it's a system-wide app.